Does tile ever get old?

Agreed all are wonderful, but the marble really caught my eye!

1 Like

One thing you want to remember if you are using the tiles as coasters…

they work great for a hot cup of coffee. however in the summer, with a glass that sweats, you can end up with a glass that simply moves right off the dang coaster and spills. I have seen this happen. startles the crap out of you.

I only use insulated mugs for my year round Iced T fix :slight_smile:

2 Likes

“Floors and More” has some good prices also. Nice work!

Beautiful! How did you clean off the excess marker on the Star wars design?

I used rubbing alcohol, but that does fade the color some. Alternately, with a glazed tile, you can wash it off with water, but that takes some extra elbow grease.

I have some earthenware tile, but so far, I’ve been to scared to try it. … This is giving me some courage.

1 Like

Never afraid to try a tile. Worse than happens is it doesnt show well. (I don’t recommend quarry tile for usefulness.)

1 Like

These are so very cool!

I am a brand new Glowforger (I started yesterday). I have questions? The black you are using… is that just sharpie? Also can you share what settings you used? Is there a resource somewhere that shows settings for different materials? Thank you for your time!

Just sharpie for the black. Any permanent marker will work. Copic works, too. Settings vary depending on the material, a little. I believe we have a resource here with some commonly used settings, but i don’t remember where it is. @jules would know. I do have a tracking spreadsheet where I have some. For glazed ceramic, full power isn’t bad on an engrave, but can be problematic on a cut depending on a number of factors.

2 Likes

Probably a lot of examples in the Beyond the Manual section, but here’s a link to the first one I saw:

2 Likes

Thank you so much @Jules! We live in a 1940’s house with almost 80 years of left over tiles. I raided the garage and I’ve made about 30 tiles since that last message. I am totally hooked!

2 Likes

I’ve got a few left from when we re-tiled the backsplash. I’m trying to save them for a bit, since I know that once I switch to tile, I’m probably not coming up for air for a while. :smile:

1 Like

I don’t blame you. Tile is SO much easier than wood for me. I don’t feel like I need to watch it like a hawk and the settings are pretty cut and dry. I am still trying to figure out the best settings for wood and my results have been a lot less consistent. I’m trying a cork trivet next. Wish me luck :wink:

1 Like

very nice!