Domino set

A technique I used for a similar application - found a setting that vaporized the masking but barely marked the surface of the material. Then, no weeding was necessary to apply paint to the engraved areas. A light score around the edges of the engraved areas “sharpens” it up.

Just saves having to weed out all those tiny areas. I used it on a city skyline project.

3 Likes

Yeah I did think about that. I’m trying to minimize the amount of time with the laser for acrylic. I have a tendency to develop sensitizing allergic reactions to things (like I cannot use epoxy at all). So I have been using scoring a lot more than engraving! :slight_smile: I only cut this last night and noticed a slight rash on my arms (which were well covered while glowforging). It could be coincidental, but given my history, I will not take this lightly. lol Knock on wood, I’ve been fine with that (wood) lol.

I have other plans to mitigate possible reactions but overall just shortening the time it’s working will help. I had no issues with shorter projects.

I can totally see how a skyline design would be a nightmare to weed! :smiley: This isn’t too bad, though since it’s only a double six set.

3 Likes

Yeah I wasn’t thinking about masking. I rarely ever use it myself.

1 Like

I was just now of thinking black acrylic and then a white spray for a traditional look.

2 Likes

Yeah I would have done that but wanted to make them bright colors so also use them for my daughter as a learning tool. :slight_smile: Like ok pick up the one that has the 5 orange dots or whatever. I haven’t gotten that far yet but it will be good. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome thank you

Quick update: I think I should have used spray paint for the pips instead of acrylic paint, but I’ll figure it out still. It’s just going to take enough white paint over the pips to cover them up. Spray paint would have worked better, or maybe the acrylic markers.
But they look really cool. I’ll post an update later with pics.

1 Like

I tried cutting but they didnt cut all the way through.

1 Like

That’s not a problem with the file. You might want to start your own discussion if you’re having trouble with settings.

1 Like

I recommend (prior to using the file) cutting a small shape as a test piece to adjust settings to get it right. But to @eflyguy 's point - we should discuss that in a separate discussion. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Does anyone have the file? The image posted here cuts off at the bottom. :frowning: Thanks for the share!

The file is complete. It just displays incomplete in the original post.

Maybe i’m missing it - I dont see a link or a way to download the file. When i save the image it’s cut off

You should be able to right-click and save as an SVG. If you can’t, try it again in Chrome – some browsers are a little bit weird about SVGs.

I’m using chrome and it’s still cutting it off at the bottom. Can someone re-post the file?

It’s going to look that way until you open it in your design program. It’s all there; it just extends beyond the workspace.

5 Likes

So weird, thanks for the tip! It looks great once in the app :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m guessing it’s just because I created the design in Illustrator and it went outside the artboard. It still saves everything fine and has no issue but apparently makes it display weird here.

1 Like

So I had what I thought was a good solution to this issue but it didn’t turn out the way I hoped. lol I painted the dots and then spray painted over them so that you could see the dots through from the other side. It looks really cool that way. However, the outlines of the dots are still visible covered by the spraypaint. So I was bummed to not be able to get that look I wanted.

I’ll have to probably just paint the backs. There are still a few things I can try though.

1. find something to fill in the score lines.

2. make the score lines really light, just enough to peel the masking so I can paint lightly in a way that can easily be hidden by spray paint over it.

I’ve just been testing them out gradually while I’m working on other things, so I haven’t gotten that far yet. But again, painting the backs would be the easiest fix. What will I end up doing? lol I haven’t decided. I am also experimenting with some white translucent ones.

Whatever dominoes are “failures,” that I don’t use for the actual game or for my daughter, my son will be happy to play with, lining then up to make a domino fall (? I don’t know the right name for that). lol So really no loss. haha

2 Likes

That’s what i was thinking, a cool emerald greed marbled look

1 Like