Don't drop your Lens Tool

Don’t drop it on hard surfaces (like tile). The magnet is apparently a rare earth magnet, so it’s brittle. It will shatter and fly everywhere.

And then you pay 9 dollars shipping on a 15 dollar piece to get a new one. And make sad faces.

8 Likes

Or… you’re only $85 away from free shipping :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Lol! I don’t really use much of the GP stuff. I’m too into fancy exotic woods.

1 Like

Aww, bummer.

(I put a folded towel in the bed of my GF before taking the lens out, so if it falls it will fall onto something soft and padded. And I make sure to hold it over the towel at all times.)

3 Likes

I managed to knock mine off where it was stored. DERP.

2 Likes

Ouch!
I stick mine to a nearby metal parts cabinet.

4 Likes

Yeah? What you got?

1 Like

I just got back from WI and got myself some canary and lignum vitae to resaw, and a piece of blonde Wenge to screw with. Right before I left I got two orders in the mail of

BIRCH
HICKORY / PECAN
CHAKTE VIGA
CHECHEN
COCO BOLO
CORDIA / BOCOTE
KATALOX
GRENADILLO
MAPLE AMBROSIA
PALM BLACK
HOLLY AMERICAN
SPALTED TAMARIND
RED PALM RED
MAPLE BIG LEAF QUILTED
NICARAGUAN ROSEWOOD
POPLAR
ZEBRAWOOD
ASH

That’s the stuff that’s new to me. I also, of course, have my usual Redheart, Purpleheart, Padauk, Mahogany, Wenge, Cherry, Oak, Aspen, Walnut, Maple (regular and curly), Basswood, Yellowheart…

7 Likes

Think that’s what I’ll do with the new one! Good idea!

2 Likes

Nice score!

Maybe of use to you:

Pretty sure black palm is stabilized, which would make it a resin/palm aggregate, and it argues with you.

3 Likes

I remember you mentioning that. This one is thinner than the other (1/8"). I’m going to try it with the laser, and if not… I’ll shove it over to be used on the new band saw for something. Maybe it can be the sides of a box or something.

3 Likes

Oh lol, that’s right it was your thread in the first place. Man, I’m moving too quickly.

4 Likes

Hmmm… if you don’t mind… What’s your wood source in WI? I’m in the southeast area (Fond du Lac actually) and I use Kettle Moraine Hardwoods (Slinger area).

Coincidentally I picked up a chunk of Black Palm last weekend. It doesn’t seem like it would laser well. I’m playing with my newest toy, a lathe, so I tried turning it. It turns nicely with sharp tools.

4 Likes

Kettle Moraine was where I went. It’s not far from my husband’s parents’ house (edge of Kewaskum). DANGEROUS PLACE.

Oh good to know on turning black palm since I have a lathe waiting to go into my new workshop.

And yeah, black palm takes some serious power to cut through. I’m going to try the 1/8th I got, but I’m not holding out a lot of hope for it being terrible useable.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.