Double-Cutting?

Hello Glowforge Community
In our makerspace we’ve recently staring making our own SVG files in inkscape to cut. One thing we’ve noticed is that when the Glowforge cuts, it goes over the lines twice. This is problematic because it creates more burn marks on the final product, it influences the final shape, and it leaves annoying little paper-thin pieces in the glowforge. Does anyone know why this is happening or have a solution to it?

Thanks so much!!

It’s in your art. I’m guessing you’re either creating boxes with fills and then turning them into cuts or tracing bitmaps. Depending on which there are easy fixes to both!

If you’re tracing bitmaps this will help (especially around the 2:45 mark):

2 Likes

^^^ Yup, it’s your file…

Here’s some of the info available on this challenge:
https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=double%20cut

4 Likes

Are you starting with tracing a bitmap into vector lines? It’s quite challenging to do that without getting multiple lines that you have to take care of.

Turn on outline mode in the view menu. That will let you see the extra lines that might be hidden with thicker paths.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve hit this snag.

Based on the description of the trouble, I’d like to review the file you’re utilizing. Would it be possible to attach the file to this thread? If you would prefer, you can send it directly to us at support@glowforge.com.

Once we can review the file, I’ll send over the next best steps.

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.