Downgrade from Pro to Basic?

Since the Pro is classified as a Class 4 laser, safety regulations (local and federal) expect laser glasses/googles.

This is why Dan has commented about the Pro’s (in schools) must meet Class 4 precautions. I think he also commented about not bring the Pro to shows and displays because of the need to have Class 4 precautions and protections in place.

8 Likes

That’s why I went basic, because I can see myself using it in a class or at maker faire.

8 Likes

Ok, thanks guys. I will send them an email!

4 Likes

I would really appreciate if you would report back what you discover. I work with kids a lot and have had some of the same concerns.

2 Likes

In an earlier thread Dan states that the pro is classified as a Class 4 laser, and that nothing short of Factory rework can change the classification.
From what I understood the upgrade in class comes not from the power, but the danger of potential exposure from Laser Shrapnel due to the openings on the pro.

I await the safety info, and will be curious to see if goggles will be recommended even if the doors are shut.

2 Likes

More than likely still recommended as open or closed, it’s still a class IV laser. But I shall see also when the manual shows.

1 Like

I thought @dan said it was the slot in the Pro (laser escaping the enclosure) that made it a Class 4 and that once the slot is made in the case, it keeps the classification (since it was manufactured with the slot) even if the slot was permanently sealed.

Power rating did not play into the Class 4 rating.

5 Likes

You are correct. It may operate the same way when the pass-thru is closed as a Class 1 but with the slots, it’s Class 4 by regulation.

2 Likes

Has anyone with a pro bought laser safety glasses? Any recommendations?

Curious to see what people say, though after watching this video I’m not likely to drop the cash on laser safety specific glasses.

2 Likes

It was posted here about the differences between safety glasses and laser glasses:

Basically, expect to pay around $40 for quality laser glasses.

2 Likes

I have these:

And these:

The Redsail is Class 4 and the K40 should be since there are no interlocks preventing its use with the lid up :slightly_smiling_face:

BTW, they’re both 6 ODs which means they attenuate the laser transmission by a factor of 1million (.0001%).

4 Likes

If money is no object then Thorlabs LG6 have OD 7+ in the CO2 IR wavelength and also at the UV end as well and are CE certified and ANSI Z136 compliant. Probably overkill for just a pass through slot but I am not on a budget.

I wonder if the safety instructions will recommend protective clothing such as welder’s gloves because if any IR does get out of the slot while doing pass through it is more likely to strike one’s hands than an eye.

unlikely to do any damage to your skin, though.

1 Like

Yes unless you laser a piece of metal with a 45 degree chamfered edge I doubt you could get enough reflected power to burn your skin although I am not sure the eye is any more sensitive to far IR than you skin is. It won’t penetrate and burn the sensitive retina. It is just that a burn on the surface of your eye is a big problem but the same on your hand is just a minor pain.

Imagine lasering some non-pg plywood that has a fragment of metal embedded. Very rare but could happen.

1 Like

the whole point of eye protection is that catastrophic damage can happen before you react. that simply isn’t going to happen on your arm; the worst that might happen (and i wager it’s extraordinarily improbable) is going to be less damaging than the least cooking burn.

2 Likes

As a reminder, discussion of safety on the board is not allowed by the forum guidelines.