Dragonflies of Wisconsin

This is a followup to my Butterflies of Wisconsin project (Butterflies of Wisconsin - Done!) from late 2020.

Dragonflies of Wisconsin took a lot longer due to the intricate detail of the wings. Each dragonfly has a unique pattern to the cells on the wings which I have to admit took a lot longer than I had planned - like a year longer TBH. I feel like this project really put the Glowforge to the test, along with Adobe Illustrator.

The cells of the wings are filled with clear MirrorCoat epoxy, while the larger cells of each body are filled with colored epoxy. And each species of dragonfly has a unique color pattern on the head and thorax that I tried my best to get as close to nature as possible. I’m especially happy with the body detail of the Eastern Amberwing (which reminds me of Frank Lloyd Wright’s nature-inspired designs) and with the overall color scheme of the Blue Dasher. But the Autumn Meadowhawk and the Hines Emerald also turned out pretty well too.

Which is your favorite?

88 Likes

Wow, just wow, these are amazing! I like the blue one best. Awesome job!

12 Likes

The colors of the epoxy really make the specimens look realistic. Beautiful job.

14 Likes

Truly impressive!

11 Likes

I have always loved the intricacy of the wing pattern but had not thought about the ability to specify a species or relationship between species by that wing pattern, and now I am wondering just how much individual variation and local groups could be detailed in that pattern, say with 5 individuals of the same species from 2 different lakes a couple hundred miles from each other. Having museums with collections might even show small changes through time as the finest details have little effect on survival?

14 Likes

Happy Cake Day.

11 Likes

Thank you
:slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Wow these are gorgeous! The Hines Emerald is my favourite, I love dragonflies so much, I live by a stream and we have lots, they eat all the biting insects!

14 Likes

Plucking their prey right out of the air, the insect tyrannosaurs of the sky. great work on those displays! :sunglasses:

16 Likes

This was mine… 28th production fiberglass aircraft ever built. Libelle = dragonfly in German. N4749S

17 Likes

Stunning!

6 Likes

This is amazing

4 Likes

Nice work! Love dragonflies! I assume the epoxy gives the wings a lot of strength. Are the walls of the wings less then a millimeter?

10 Likes

Towards the outside they’re definitely thinner than 1mm, but not as fragile as you’d think. Once filled with epoxy they’re solid. One of the challenges was getting the tiny cutout pieces out of the finished product. And getting the masking tape off, but duct tape actually works great for that.

7 Likes

The blue one looks like the dragonflies in my backyard. I brilliant blue damselflies as well. This is gorgeous work, congratulations!

8 Likes

These are awesome!! What a great idea!

7 Likes

Love the epoxy filling. Looks really good.

7 Likes

It is not hard to understand why the project took longer than anticipated. Great job.

7 Likes

These are just gorgeous, bravo! What size are they?

5 Likes

These are lovely!

What was your technique for applying the epoxy?

2 Likes