Dragonflies of Wisconsin

I’d like to use quarter inch dowels that pass from layer to layer as a kind of “registration“ technique. It keeps everything aligned throughout the piece from the back layer all the way to the top layer. I put the quarter-inch towels on the back of the dragonfly’s body and then each wing simply has a quarter inch hole cut into it through which the dowel passes.

2 Likes

All just gorgeous! A year well spent.

What a great idea. Thanks

These are very cool. Any chance you would be prepared to share the SVG used for the wings? I have a different project in mind and your wings look a lot better than what I have come up with so far.

Just a little reminder…it’s against forum rules to ask for files or designs.

5 Likes

Really? I had no idea that was a rule and I have been asked many times for my designs. Any idea why that is a restriction?

It’s in the forum rules, handed down from Glowforge:

https://community.glowforge.com/faq

If someone shares a print that they’ve made, please respect their sharing and do not ask for the source design or artwork. Designs take work and have value, and when you ask someone to give you that value for free, you undermine their work.

I can’t find any examples of anyone asking you for design files for things you have shared here, just one person offering to buy one. I would be surprised if someone asked here and a Regular didn’t say something. If you are talking about somewhere besides this forum, that’s different.

7 Likes

Could have been PM.

Asking if and where it’s available also skirts the asking for it directly.

These are beautiful (even from a dragonfly scaredy-cat!). I bet these could be on display for the state of Wis somewhere!

2 Likes

Like to use dowels as a primary connector for my art. So the base has .25" circles cut into them and the dowels go into the holes, the bodies then lay on top of the base with the dowels going through them, and then on top the wings. A small amount of wood glue to stop them from turning and you’re all set.

1 Like

woow!