Have a great week!!

49 Likes

Excellent combo of art and material.

4 Likes

Super! Love those gnomes.

5 Likes

Thank you @dklgood and @ovm.steve!!!

2 Likes

fun! I keep gathering pieces of “Test” stuff but never know what to test.

Also love the garden signs. What did you seal them with?

3 Likes

Driftwood looks good, and the gnomes are super cute!

3 Likes

Cute! A different twist on the fairy garden. Do they live underground?

3 Likes

Before I moved to Texas, I would pick up every piece of driftwood that I thought would fit in the GF. Do you find that the soot is much finer and easier to wipe off ?

3 Likes

We went to Kauai with some friends who are from there and met a guy at one of the Hanapepe street fairs. He had a stand where he collects driftwood and does saw work on them, and they come out pretty cool! I mentioned that I had a laser and he gave me a piece to engrave. It has sat on my desk for the last two years waiting to be engraved. It’s such a pretty piece of wood that I haven’t wanted to mess it up! I’ve gotta go comb the beach here for some one of these days when we can do that again :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

@Thumper369 thank you, I did not put anything on the signs because most of the garden is consumables, and I was unsure if anything would hurt the plants or get into the food. I also figured if they disintegrate I can just cut out new ones. :slight_smile:

@gooddog thank you! This made great gifts for my mother’s birthday.

@cynd11 I should put some doors, and a hobbit hole there!

@robermar36 it engraves really super well. Not really sure about the soot. Seems about standard. It came out better than I had expected it would. With irregular surfaces I seem to have better luck with engraving rather than scoring.

@raymondking32 I was there a few months ago for work and it seemed like there was more driftwood than I had ever seen. I brought a few pieces home. Whenever they lift our ban please post some driftwood art! Driftwood earrings? Now I’m curious to see this amazing piece of driftwood on your desk.

3 Likes

Perfect addition to the driftwood! Love it!

3 Likes

Delightful! Nice to use the your kid’s artwork.

2 Likes

Here’s the piece I have

It’s not very big, on a banana scale it’s about the size of one. It would be cool to take a piece like this and get it down to thinner sheets for jewelry! When I spoke with the guy about his process he said he went through a good amount of blades because sand finds its way into every pocket and hole, and even with consecutive washing, the sand is really hard to get entirely rid of before cutting.

8 Likes

That’s cute! I have some pieces of driftwood sitting around waiting for inspiration.

3 Likes

Thank you @designvh619 @ptodd and @ChristyM !!!

@raymondking32 nice wood! I never thought about cutting the driftwood in half!!!

Another project for my bandsaw. :slight_smile:

I wonder if it will be strong enough when it’s cut thinner for jewelry, or if it will need crazy glue as a wood hardener.

3 Likes

I would expect it depends on what kind of wood was drifting… “Driftwood” isn’t a species… :smiley:

6 Likes

So cute! Nice to be able to incorporate the kids’ artwork.

2 Likes

Every spring before TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) raises the local lake levels ——the Knoxville news outlets run a story about lake cleanup.

Volunteers are needed to walk along all the different shorelines to pick up driftwood, trash, dead bodies, etc.

Your post has inspired me to somehow convince my husband to become a lake cleanup volunteer. I will take photographs of all the driftwood he finds.

6 Likes

Driftwood photos would be appreciated - dead bodies not so much.

3 Likes

… but do they laser? :rofl:

3 Likes