Drive belt wear?

Hello,
I was cleaning my Glowforge today and noticed what looks like wear on the drive belts. I have’nt noticed this before, the machine has only ran for approximately 120 Hrs. Is this normal wear and tear or should I be concerned? (Well, I’m already concerned or I wouldn’t be posting) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Any input much appreciated, Cheers.

4 Likes

Still would like to see wear items such as belts available on the shop page to purchase. Belts wear and stretch over time and use. Unless it is frayed it might have always been like that and just a poor QC job from the supplier. Best of luck and keep us up to date. We will all be there sooner or later.

4 Likes

If you are referring to the light-colored strands, that is normal. The belts are made in wide sections and are cut down. You are looking at the stiffening cords that are molded into the belt to keep it from stretching much. When the belts are cut to width, sometimes one or more of these cords is at the edge of the cut or gets cut, exposing the lighter colored material. This is normal and is not a problem.

If you are referring to something else, please point it out in a little more detail.

6 Likes

Hi Ben,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am referring to the lighter coloured areas. They don’t seem to be uniform , different lengths, different spacing between them so am not sure that they are part of the belt manufacturing in the case? I hope your right though :wink:

Do your belts show similar markings?
Cheers.

Mine does. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Feeling better already. Thanks.

As long as the belt isn’t obviously torn/frayed or missing teeth, there’s nothing to worry about. I use belts like this in a bunch of different gizmos, including one that drives a supercharger on my car (obviously quite a bit heavier duty, but the same basic idea). In my experience they either work or they snap and there’s no real in-between. If the belt breaks, replace it, otherwise ignore any cosmetic damage.

3 Likes

Thanks Randy, feeling even better thanks.:grin:

Yes, mine show similar pale stripes, as do all the ones in my stable of 3D printers. I have seen a belt of this construction break, which is how I know what to look for. As long as the fibers aren’t visible from the wide faces of the belt the belt is not worn.

3 Likes

Thanks Ben/all…feeling alot better about the belt after your feedback. Cheers.

Thanks for the help everyone. Glad you’re feeling better @Dougie !

If you ever have a belt problem, you can contact support and we can get you a spare part.

I’m going to close this thread - if you have any other questions, go ahead and post a new topic.

1 Like