Dry erase game board

I always loved that game. It is great for playing while waiting in restaurants with children.

4 Likes

Well instead of white board, how about acrylic? You could even have some sort of base it sits in that boards could slide into, with the acrylic fastened on top. That way the different boards could be kept together, and could even be painted different colors. (And that way, you could submit it to the catalog, even if you only use PG materials for the submission, but people could do them from whatever materials they want.) Just a thought.

7 Likes

I did think of that, but I’m just lazy enough that I wouldn’t want to go to all the work of painting the lettering. :grimacing: :slightly_smiling_face: Maybe my idea will be a catalyst for someone else to make some and submit them to the catalog.

3 Likes

Oh no, I didn’t mean paint the lettering. That would be dreadful!! :crazy_face: I meant paint the boards whatever color (or use non-pg whiteboard) and engrave the game on the colored/white boards. But instead of marking on the boards, there would be a box to hold all the games with the acrylic being the top of the box and what they would draw on, and which would be easy to erase, as the acrylic would always be a flat surface. Kind of like if you had a game drawn on a piece of paper laying on a table and put a piece of glass over it. You see the game underneath, but don’t mess it up by writing/drawing on it because you’re marking on the glass. Of course, the box might make it a little harder to pass back and forth, especially if you’re playing the games in a car or plane. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oh…I get it. That would probably work well…but, still more work than I want to do. As I said, I’m lazy. :grimacing: :blush: Great ideas, though…thank you!

3 Likes

I like that idea. I can see a set of trays with all the game slides stacked inside. Slide one out and put it in the top spot, just under the acrylic top surface. If you have, say, 6 games, that’s only 3 slides. The top slide might be the one just under the clear panel. They could all be 1/8 inch thick, including the top clear one.

If you do it like that and just use a simple stack for the slides, the whole thing might only be 3/4” thick including top and bottom. the slides could all have staggered “tabs” for access.

I might have to use my rudimentary design skills to make the game rack up!

Thanks for the inspiration!

5 Likes

That’s exactly what I was thinking!

1 Like

I forgot to ask, what was your source for the two-sided white board and how did you do the cutting of it?

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09J5FBBCC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
You can also get them in a 3 pack or in packs of more than these 12. Sending you a message with the settings, which aren’t allowed in this section…which is easier than moving this to BTM.

6 Likes

Thanks! Very helpful for me.

1 Like

My updated ‘collection’. I went online looking for more simple games to put on these boards. I made these 4 new ones plus a redone "wordle’ board. I love how white board looks when engraved.

Apple Tree: a more benign version of Hangman…played the same way. Once all the apples are ‘picked’, you lose. We don’t have any very young children in our family anymore, but this might be more appropriate for young ones.

Boxes; of which many of you are already familiar

SIM; which I’ve never heard of and don’t know what SIM means

Naughts & Crosses: the British name for our Tic Tac Toe. I just liked the name better. This is the regular game using the entirety of the board as well as a more challenging ‘nested’ version

• And finally, my re-named version of Wordle…which I called Banana for Scale, just because. When searching online for games, I discovered that Wordle is a variation of a game with numbers which has also been called Mastermind or Bulls and Cows. I’m sure many games just get renamed and have many similar characteristics as other games. So, why not…mine is Banana for Scale.

I also included instructions for playing the more complex ones. I know I can easily forget how to play some games. Now, I don’t have to rely on my memory.
There’s still one blank side on the back of SIM, but I kept the cutout piece of board which will help a little with alignment when I find one more game.

12 Likes

How about Sudoku on the back of SIM? I think having the directions on how to play the game is a great touch!

2 Likes

I think you mentioned that before…I’ll check it out. I’ve never played it. Thanks!

2 Likes

Time for me to get to work. I just got an order of white boards from your reference above. As soon as I’ve finished two massive tasks, I’ll work up some designs. The design is basically the Naughts and Crosses framework with the sudoku rules.
It might be a great idea to see if GF would put up your plans for sale.

5 Likes

Can’t submit these designs because they have to be made using proofgrade materials to qualify for addition…and white board is not proofgrade. Too bad. I definitely would have submitted them…I think it would have been successful. I’ve never played Sudoku but when I looked it up I noticed that the layout of the game board is the same as nested Naughts & Crosses. Interesting.

Have fun!

Be sure to post what you make, please.

6 Likes

Will do. I’ll give credit to you for the overall idea and the designs. Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Just in case you’ve never cut white board…the cut/engrave places are charred a lot…especially the cut edges. I just cleaned it up with some vinegar and water and a paper towels.

4 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

Forgot to ask - did you mask the white board too?

2 Likes

No, I didn’t mask. Probably wouldn’t hurt, but unless you don’t want to clean it off at all, it’s probably not necessary… just extra work. That nice smooth surface cleans like a breeze. It’s the cut edges that are the worst.

3 Likes