Ear Savers Upgrade

Thanks so much!

1 Like

The hair dryer was taking forever (must be a bad one) so I just boiled the acrylic. Pulled it out and pressed it on a wider canned food can. It seemed to be just about right.

3 Likes

Is this what you used? It says rotary, does that mean to use a CNC machine to engrave, and not to use a laser on it? I found some people in the medical field that could still use ear savers and thought I would look at this discussion of the flexible.

http://www.bfplasticsinc.com/pc_product_detail.asp?key=0F13AA4562AD41ED9F72BD34FD2AEDD5

If this is what you used, I would appreciate some advice on how to use it — and I’ll get it ordered ASAP. Thanks!

I used it for cutting earsavers but not engraving. It doesn’t engrave as cleanly as cast acrylic. It can be a bit melty on the cuts so watch your settings and don’t over power it.

1 Like

It seemed to bend ok without snapping? We had picked up some clear thinner acrylic at Menards that seemed flexible. It snapped the minute we started to bend it.

Yeah. I have bunches I’ve cut without a recipient I can send you some if you want to play with them to see how much flex you intend to use vs what I’ve seen with them used on masks. The curvature of a head isn’t so extreme that it has affected them. I have been able to break them if I grab them between my thumb & forefinger and pull the ends together. But I can do that with any acrylic (or even wood) that I can bend with my fingers.

1 Like

Well I can just take your word for it! If you want to send me some, I’ll try it out and then give the nurse the ones you send me to start her out while I wait for my order to arrive.

The stuff from Menards was a fast snap without a lot of curvature. It was near home and could buy that night which is why we tried it. I’d like to get some to 3 nurses and for their co-workers as well. I met another nurse online this week (which made it 3 nurses) with our local car club (this time holiday party was online). She is working 12 hour shifts and looked really tired. I asked her about the ear savers and she hadn’t heard of them. I told her what they were for and she was so excited! She said she has sores on the back of her ears. I know she is busy so I am going to reach out to her husband to see if he can give me a ballpark idea of how many her unit will need.

PM me with your address & I’ll send you some cut ones as well as a few sheets of the acrylic. I have plenty of both.

Have you cut the 0.020" yet if so what setting did you use? I read that material was the best for this project.

I believe you can find settings for .02” acrylic here: