Ear savers with some human friendly tweaks

I tweaked the Glowforge ear saver design to remove the sharp / right-angle corners at either end. This makes the design little more human friendly when putting on and removing.

Here are photo of our 1st production batch using the tweaked design.

I’ll post the SVG cut file once I have a chance to remove our logo.

We are also making Face Shields for emergency medical service (EMS) professionals in New York City. If you are interested you can read more here: http://ppe.moe

33 Likes

The attached SVG includes cut lines for a full sheet of Made On Earth’s tweaked version of the ear saver design. The cut lines are optimized for single pass cuts / no duplication of cut lines on adjacent ear savers.

The SVG also includes hidden group (“Parts for no duplicate cuts”) that contains all the component paths of a single ear saver to help you rearrange the sheet or make new variations as needed.

Made On Earth NYC - PPE MOE - Ear Savers - Sheet - No Logo

Update: A new improved version was posted below… Ear savers with some human friendly tweaks

39 Likes

Thanks for your efforts and this file.

2 Likes

Would be good to add the end to the half “scraps” for flexies. A lot of folks prefer those even.

Good idea. I’ll have a go at that when time permits.

Thank you for the file.

What material did you use for this and what size of sheet?

Thanks for this – incidentally, the pattern is also useful when cut from cardboard to make disposable ear savers.

5 Likes

@stephanie.barker
I used Glowforge’s Acrylic (https://shop.glowforge.com/collections/acrylic) in the 12 x 20 inch sheet size.

The actually cut area of the design is about 11 x 19 inches.

Is there any way I could just make 2 of this design?

Just need an SVG editor, something like Inkscape. The SVG file I shared contains separate cut paths for each ear saver, so you can simply delete or hide the ones you don’t want.

1 Like

If you rotate the piece 90 degrees and cut to the 10x11.5 inches, then you can rotate the sheet and use up more of it,

I’ll try that Thanks!

can’t get much more total than that!

2 Likes

I really like your design! I am new at this and have only made the original design so far. How do I download your file? I could not find a link for the download, unless I just don’t know how to do that! I could only find a link to download the pic of the red MOE ones you made. Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

in the second post there is the design in red ink in outline format… right click on that picture and choose SAVE AS … it will save it to your computer in SVG format.

Thanks @Livein3D

1 Like

one thing i would suggest is to run a simplify path on it. when i opened it up, there were 56k nodes. i ran simplify path in illustrator at a level that didn’t change the curves and it was down to closer to 4300 notes. that will load a lot faster and probably run a little smoother.

Before:

After:

13 Likes

Thanks @shop. Nice improvement.

I’m using Inkscape, so I’ll have to dig into Inkscape a little more as the simplify paths option they have was too aggressive and messed things up a bit. I’m sure it possible in Inkscape as well, just haven’t had any luck with it so far.

1 Like

I have found that the inkscape simplify path can be tamed considerably using these settings…
simplify
It may lock up Inkscape some but patience is rewarded :grin:

10 Likes