Ear savers with some human friendly tweaks

Awesome! I’ll give these a go.

1 Like

Learn something new every day! …now to understand it…I get the anchor points, just need to understand how that works with the simplify paths so I will know when to use it…something new to bookmark and try more when I get a bit further through my Illustrator tutorials…good to know! TFS

Nice… thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Thank you for all that work. I made a similar file but accidentally uploaded it with an extra layer turned on. My Mac got damaged by a power surge right afterwards so I couldn’t upload the right file. I have been meaning to do so but I like your file much better. Thanks again.

2 Likes

Thanks @nancielaing.

There are a couple of great tweaks that @rbtdanforth and @shop suggested earlier in the thread. I’ll hopefully have some time this week to circle back and make those improvements.

2 Likes

Adding in the half flexi will get you 10% more. And that could add up pretty fast.

Here is my file. It is full page page and prints the half extenders to make use of all of the space. Mine are just a little bit smaller than yours.ear savers from Glowforge full sheet NEL

4 Likes

Thankyou!
you might want to set the edge to show and not the fill, as I had fill and no edge on what I downloaded.

Hi thanks for the file. How can I download this?

I m sorry for bothering you but can please explain it I don’t see any option to download.

Right click on the drawing. You should see some option to save image, save file, download target, or something like that depending on your browser and platform.

Oops, sorry, meant to reply to @esthertst

Here is the updated human friendly design with simplified paths and half ear savers added to create flexies in the gaps at the end of each row.

Made On Earth NYC - PPE MOE - Ear Savers - Sheet - No Logo - V2

As before, attached SVG includes cut lines for a full sheet of Made On Earth’s tweaked version of the ear saver design. The cut lines are optimized for single pass cuts / no duplication of cut lines on adjacent ear savers.

The SVG also includes hidden group that contains all the component paths of a single full ear saver and half ear saver to help you rearrange the sheet or make new variations as needed.

22 Likes

just in time, my “free ear saver” bin out by the sidewalk just ran out.

3 Likes

Are these made out of acrylic? Don’t they hurt the person’s head? I would love to make these but wanted to make sure I use the correct materials.

Yes they are 1/8" acrylic. With the rounded edges they aren’t bad.

The half ear saver / flexible design also helps out to make an even more comfortable ear saver.

If you have access to a PETG or even ABS plastic sheet, they do end up being a little more flexible than acrylic, which can be nice for the end user.

1 Like

I have used a thinner acrylic too. I can cut 4 sheets stacked at proof grade medium acrylic settings.
I got in in several colors from Johnson’s plastic

6 Likes

Thanks for your improvements. I’ve been using 0.02 acrylic with good results. I don’t engrave them so I can cut a full sheet in about 10 minutes. I could do a sheet of the original ear savers in about six minutes.

I don’t know if there is a way to redesign the cutting order to make these cut faster. The smooth edges of your version make it worth the extra three minutes.

Thanks again.

4 Likes

This is a total side note but just in case anyone runs into an issue like I did:

I had a hard time getting my youngest to wear a mask if it wasn’t the ones she is used to from the hospital. (She just finished chemo so she’s totally used to wearing a mask but it’s not like we have an infinite amount of disposable masks from the hospital and we need her to wear a cloth mask.) These types of ear savers just didn’t work for her, she’s quite picky (justifiably so).

I found the best solution for her with something cheap that many people already have but if not, they are cheap to get on Amazon. Thin Velcro cable ties. They work great! She wore it this way to a dentist appt and a doctor appt and had zero complaints.

I only wanted to share here because we’re all dealing with various things and if anyone else is struggling to find something that works, maybe this will work.

13 Likes

I would like to sign-up to be contacted for ear savers by want to use 14mil mylar instead of acrylic. It is durable, light and very comfortable to wear. Does anyone know if that would be a problem. I ask because the instructions specifically say 1/8th acrylic.