Easter Wreath designed by a 6 year old


#1

Hi fellow forgers. A few weeks ago my six year old daughter wanted to get in on the forging and make an Easter themed wreath. She did a quick concept sketch of a bunny surrounded by Easter eggs, and asked me if I could make it for her. I said ‘sure I can make that, and I don’t think it will take too long!’ Famous last words.

The eggs for the outside were indeed very easy. I traced a photo of a few different real eggs so that they would have a natural look, and scaled them to real world size. Then in no time I cut out a big sheet filled with them, and that night my three year old and six year old daughters were happily painting eggs with their crayola acrylic paints. Here is their handiwork:

Next I found some images of chicks and bunnies for inspiration, and got to work on the art for the center of the wreath. For this project I decided to work in CAD so that I could have the accuray I would need for wood joints on the frame, and for lining up pin-holes in the eggs with corresponding holes in the frame.

I started by quickly drawing some chicks with smooth lines, but it turns out that if they aren’t fuzzy, chicks look like tiny dinosaurs with murder in their hearts. So next I drew a fuzzy chick and did a test print, but found that I had made it too fuzzy for the material; the tiny bits of wood were charred. So I did another test, and another, and at last got the scale of the fuzz correct. Then I moved on to the other chicks and the bunny. Finally I took a page from Disney and scaled up all of their eyes, but not their beaks, and made all of the features a little more round. At last, some cute chicks!

For this project I used proof grade 1/8" maple plywood from the GF store. I am in love with this material. It is strong, but very light weight. It prints perfectly, and the outer layer of maple is attractive enough to stand on its own, especially if you order the pre-finished boards. Here is the entire assembly without paint:

One point though, is to always double check whether you are printing on plain or pre-finished BEFORE you print. I accidentally printed the center bunny & chicks on a pre-finished board rather than unfinished, and didn’t realize my mistake until I started painting and the paint wouldn’t stick. With the girls watching and excited to finish the project, I made the paint a little thicker and had success.

Here, just in time for Easter, is the assembled wreath in all its DayGlo glory.


Weekly Highlights for the Week Ending April 15th, 2017
#2

Fantastic! A whole new level of quality from a child’s design!


#3

I’m continually fascinated with your connector pieces… the behind the scene staff :slight_smile:


#4

Holy moly! This is a really gorgeous design.


#5

Oh wow. I really love this. The design, the colors. It really turned out great! :slight_smile:


#6

Another great job. You inspire me. One question. Are the eggs glued and sewn to the ring?
Thanks


#7

So, so cute! Just really great, balanced design and the colors all work so well together. I think the youngsters did a fantastic job with the egg coloring.


#8

OMG, tiny dinosaurs with murder in their hearts. Hahaha I had a vision of doing some Easter dinos with bunny ears on them when you said that. Wonderful!


#9

That’s amazing and beautiful and a great project for the kids!


#10

This tuned out so great! I also love the connections and how they’re hidden in the end.


#11

Wow, this is a fantastic design.

Your daughters paint better than me. You have truly are passing your design and artistic talents to the next generation.


#12

Good Project!


#13

Cute! Cute ! Cuuuuute! Love the fuzzy baby dinosaurs and the kids did a fantastic job with the egg decorating! :smile:


#14

So adorable!! The egg painting is fantastic! Make sure you share these comments with your young artists!!


#15

I love this project on so many levels. The way you handled the connectors to make a larger wreath is very cool.


#16

That is excellent!


#17

That is a super useful tip. I can totally see myself doing that… :slight_smile:


#18

The eggs are attached with thin wire. There are two holes on each egg that correspond to two holes on the frame. I used 1.5" inch long segments of wire threaded through the hole and tied like a twist tie. I like the way that this method results in all of the eggs being perfectly spaced, and if an egg comes loose it’s easy to fix with a new wire. But the trade off is that a small portion of the wire is visible on the front of the eggs when you look up close.


#19

I will. Thank you!


#20

Awsome