Elegant Reindeers 4.5" *Free Design*

Fantastic!

Thanks for this file! I didn’t think about it at the time, but the other problem with Discourse stripping the styles is that you lose all of the colors. It would have been a lot more difficult to reconstruct everything from the solid black one as it would require finding all the paths and recoloring them, so I appreciate the second upload.

Not sure what all the brown dots and numbers are for, I’m cutting mine now and have just set those to ignore.

We’re doing our Thanksgiving a day late, and I’m looking forward to giving my guests a tour of the lab and letting them pick out some decorations to be cut to order.

4 Likes

What a wonderful plan. Hope you have a Happy Day Late Thanksgiving!

1 Like

What show as brown dots & #s are the indicators as to what parts slot with whatever other parts. Since there are different legs for each deer it shows the legs, hips, antler base, etc that belong to each other. They’ll be hidden by the overlap on the slot. Match 1 with 1 and 2 with 2 etc.

The dots show because it’s a single stroke Hershey font with odd “fills” but they will score correctly.

1 Like

I’m trying to figure out what you are referring to here. Is that SVGs generated by certain programs and procedures?

Yeah. Pretty sure that the purple color on my gobbler svg is from the red and blue layers over in this thread.

There are a few different ways to apply styles (color, stroke, etc.) to elements in an SVG file. One of them is to include a CSS stylesheet. I think it’s the default for Illustrator and perhaps others. There’s nothing wrong with the file, but when you upload it here, Discourse rewrites it and strips out the entire style section. There is another thread around here, shouldn’t be too hard to find, with some further details, but it turns out this is done on purpose, for security reasons, so it’s not changing.

The default for an SVG element that doesn’t have a style applied is no stroke, black fill. That explains the weird things that happen sometimes where people upload SVGs here. The shapes will still be there but they’ll all be filled with black.

Avoiding this is a relatively simple matter of not using the embedded stylesheet option. I’m not allowed to make suggestions, but I use the one that rhymes with smesentation smattributes.

Discourse also strips out embedded images from SVGs, but AFAIK there is no workaround.

5 Likes

Sorry, but :roll_eyes:

If everyone here was afraid to make suggestions because someone else saw things a different way at some point in time, it would sure be a quiet place…

2 Likes

Thanks. I use Inkscape exclusively and haven’t had these issues. And as far as I am concerned, you are in the running for the second month in a row for Best Forum Participant! Stay passionate!

2 Likes

I didn’t see anyone post a version in medium acrylic, so here it is:

The fit is loose, which I find useful for storing/transporting/gift-wrapping/etc.

19 Likes

BEAUTIFUL!!!

(This is filler so the stupid forums allow the post, disregard)

2 Likes

This is so awesome… really appreciate all the work you put in it and for sharing… just learning to use the GF and choose this as my first “real” cut. Worked perfectly! Thanks!

3 Likes

Glad it worked out well for you. Turns out, I need to send mine back, cause it’s broken…

I like how everyone has been experimenting with these! It’s the perfect holiday starter project for familiarizing yourself with the GF and with tools like Inkscape/Illustrator/Fusion360.

I’ll post my spin on it. I took the file into illustrator and added patterns to all of the pieces. This turned out to be a big long headache since I used the “pattern fill” tool to create and apply the patterns, and then discovered that that app.glowforge.com couldn’t work with that format. It was a long, fun (not fun) process to figure out how to get Illustrator to convert the patterns into simple paths for Laser McLaserface. I was using all strokes for the patterns so that I could score them because I wasn’t ready to be patient with how long engraves take, but all my efforts kept giving me a file full of clipping masks that the GF software still couldn’t understand. I finally learned that the Pathfinder tool only works with fills and not null-fill strokes so I settled on using fills and trimming them with the Pathfinder tool, then just converting them to scores in the GF UI.

Here’s the file I ended up with.
5in_patterned
Color Preview:
5in

Then I flipped the non-symmetrical shapes and cut again, allowing me to make another pair, and giving me a perfect jig to score the pattern onto the back of each piece from the first pair without having to mess with realigning anything. (I forgot to flip one pair of the antlers, so I just used the left-most pair as my backside jig)

Reindeer_Flipped
Color Preview:
Reindeer-Flipped

Here’s a picture of how one turned out on Medium Draftboard.

32 Likes

Sweeeet! :sunglasses:

squeeeee :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great job!

Love what you’ve done with the textures.

1 Like

When my brother came for Thanksgiving, I showed him these reindeer and we made a pair for him to take back home to his landlady. Today, he sent me this drawing made by 5 1/2 year old Bennett, a friend of his landlady’s…who apparently was fascinated by them and wanted to take them apart. I hope Bev (landlady) let him do that and that she showed him how to put them together again. What fun! Your work carries on @willcfc!

17 Likes

Made one on draftboard. A friend asked me to make one on African Mahogany. I will have to share pics when done.

2 Likes