Embossing folders with matching stencils for cards

Very inventive!

1 Like

This is such a cool idea! I know nothing about embossing. I don’t have a Big Shot Pro, but I’m wondering if there is any way to do this with a rolling pin. I’m thinking of things that my 7th graders might be able to do in a makerspace. We could cut something, make the folder design like you showed then use a rolling pin to do the embossing? What do you think?

1 Like

You sure can! I just did a Google search for “embossing folder without machine” and got lots of hits. Give it a try, but be sure to use good quality card stock. The cheaper stuff is more likely to crack and buckle.

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll give it a shot!

1 Like

Awesome, I can never find embossing folders I like, now I can make my own…Thanks for sharing

1 Like

Every time you post I am so inspired!!

2 Likes

After seeing this, I ordered a Big Shot. :thinking: I guess I’m making cards this season.

What is fun is that I can have some level of originality and not need to rely so heavily on preproduced products when I use it. This forum is a “gateway” for sure. (Or is @cynd11 the gateway? Either way, I’m getting into craft die cutting and embossing now too. Ha!)

8 Likes

Yay for you! You’ll be able to do a form of letterpress with that Big Shot as well. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Well, it’s been confirmed. @cynd11 is the gateway. :smile:

The Big Shot arrives on Friday. I hope to be happily rolling things through it on Saturday.

3 Likes

I think some personal stationery with an embossed honeybee would be awesome. Just sayin! :wink:

2 Likes

That’s the greatest compliment of all. Cynd11 is certainly our laser paper art expert and I’m always in awes of her work.

2 Likes

Very cool. i have an electronic press because i can never get the manual ones to work! My son is getting married next year and i may try to do some personalized thank you cards for them…great idea!!

1 Like

Hi there I am new here. Is there a video tutorial? For this?

Welcome to the forum! I haven’t seen a video posted, but the original posting (all the way at the top) includes lots of details and photos that should help.

1 Like

Thanks so much for taking the time out to reply. I have had my pro for three weeks and have only did the gift of good measure. 😮‍💨 so overwhelmed lol.

1 Like

Many of us in the community know exactly how you feel because we were new and overwhelmed as well. I suggest making a few other Glowforge files to get some practice making things and getting comfortable with the interface. Also, there are lots of helpful people here whenever you have questions.

This post may have some information you can use: Common problems/questions

2 Likes

Oh this is great! And no idea that forum existed!!! Definitely going to head over there now to give it a look! Thanks

1 Like

It can feel overwhelming, when everyone else seems to ‘get it’, and you are just diving in. Use the search function liberally, and go down those rabbit holes while reading the posts. Even the old ones have amazing tips, how-to’s, etc.

Congrats on the Pro! Don’t be afraid to post photos about your work. Everyone has some special knowledge the rest of us would just love to learn about.

Well, I should have read a little further down…what @dklgood said.

3 Likes

Very nice! As a fellow card maker… That was ingenious!!!

1 Like

I did some cutouts last year with the GF for our christmas cards, but hadn’t even considered making an embossing kit. I’m a terrible GF owner for letting such an opportunity go by. but there is always this year!
Thanks for the tutorial.

1 Like