Faux Letterpress

I was working on this project when I saw the posting on this subject by @j_d_hastings, and he inspired me to continue this project using the Draftboard that I had initially cut it out of as a prototype (was going to use maple ply). It took me so long to weed all the little bits that I was dreading doing it again!

The design is one I purchased from the Silhouette Design store by Kolette Hall. I figured it’s getting close to time to crank out my Christmas cards. I usually make them by hand each year, but wanted to try something special now that I have a laser.

In Illustrator I thickened all the lines of the design to account for kerf, by offsetting the path (Path…Offset Path…) with an amount of 0.4mm. I think it could have been even a little wider. Then I deleted all the inner paths of the outsides of the letters and the outer paths of the insides of the letters (like the insides of a, e, f, etc). Hope that makes sense. Cut everything with default settings from Draftboard. I flipped the whole thing over and glued to a backer board of Draftboard, then I sprayed with a couple coats of matte workable fixatif to limit the surface porosity. I applied a coat of UV resin around the base of all the letters to give them some support.

Inked it up with a brayer using Distress Oxide ink (it’s a pigment ink), popped into my Big Shot Pro with a piece of cheap watercolor paper with a rubber gasket under it. I’m pretty happy with how it turned out, although I did somehow miss a little edge of a letter.

201 Likes

Woah! That’s awesome!!!

7 Likes

That looks totally professional! (When you ink that using the brayers, are you using several ink pads for the colors? How do you keep the ink from just drying out?) :grinning:

6 Likes

I squished some ink from the pads onto a piece of smooth glass. These inks are pigment inks so relatively slow drying. Then ran the brayer through back and forth to blend the inks, then ran a couple times across the cutout letters.

11 Likes

See, there’s a whole 'nother skill set to this kind of work…so much to learn… :grinning:

9 Likes

slow clap - head poised high

This is awesome

13 Likes

If you see two guys with dark sunglasses and earpieces at your doorstep, it’s probably Hallmark.

Looks amazing. I’m happy to see a post on woodblock printing.

14 Likes

Stunning…just stunning! I love how this turned out! Edit: I bookmarked this so I could revisit. I really want to do some of this when I get my Glowforge!

8 Likes

Gorgeous :star_struck:…I need to dig my big shot out of the closet!

7 Likes

Beautiful! Professional work :sunglasses:

5 Likes

This is super awesome! What kind of card stock are you using, if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve never worked with cardstock before, so this is all new to me.

3 Likes

This turned out really nice! Kudos!!! Appreciate your techniques for sealing and securing the pieces to the backer. Really an incredible piece of work!

4 Likes

I think you could just go with unmasked material. It’s not like some smoke discoloration is going to be an issue after you ink it.

Oh the things to look forward to next year. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Okay. I’m confused. Where does the ‘Faux’ come in. What you’ve done is letterpress, n’est-ce-pas?

And it does look great!

6 Likes

Never heard of a Big Shot Pro before, thanks to this project i have and will now probably have to buy one!

I still do the old ‘carve the laminate’ technique, gonna have to lift my game!

6 Likes

So pretty!!! I love the colour! Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

Respect in the house!

2 Likes

I feel so unworthy. Incredible

2 Likes

Oh wow. So much to learn. That’s beautiful.

2 Likes

Wow! I love the transition effect on the colors! Let us know how the block holds up

4 Likes