Engrave Alignment Problems?

I ran a print today and while all my cuts were clean and crisp, all the engraves were completely unacceptable. It looks like there was an alignment issue or something, but it’s pretty bad. I’ve cleaned my lenses (which I don’t think could be the problem, since the cuts came out aligned correctly) and such… it’s just the engraves. I’ve not changed anything between the last time I did some engraves and now. Any help would be appreciated.

Here’s an example of what I mean…

Left is an old print and right is what came out just now. This engrave on the right is the product of me uploading a second file just to make sure my original file didn’t get messed up some how.

1 Like

That looks like your tension is slipping. First thing I’d check is the wheels under the head (on the carriage plate). They’ve been known to break. If those are solid I’d check the tension on all the belts, and (while the machine is off) slide the head every which way slowly and carefully and see if you can find a place where it’s hitching.

support.glowforge.com if you need instructions for any of the above!

Hmmm, I’ll check. I did recently replace the carriage and belt, though it’s been working fine since then. Maybe I knocked it…

Ok, I tightened the right spindle as far as it can go. That’s actually the spindle I recently had replaced… I think they changed the form factor a little bit, 'cause now I can’t take off the belt for the laser head carriage without loosening it now.

It’s possible, but it isn’t easy - I used a flexible piece of plastic to roll it back on cuz my fingers weren’t strong enough.

Mine isn’t. The belt simply can’t squeeze between the outer ridge of the spindle and the wall. The only way is to loosen the spindle and create slack. Next time I gotta access my air assist fan, I’m gonna try just getting the belt off the left spindle instead.

Oh no, I’m sorry you’ve hit a snag. @deirdrebeth is right! It appears adjusting your belt tension has you back up and printing. Would you let us know if you’re experiencing any additional difficulties?

Things look to be working right again, thanks. I think with this new carriage/belt and spindle, I have to make sure it’s REALLY tight.

Hi @pauljima. That’s great to hear things look to be working right again! Since the problem appears to be resolved, I will go ahead and close this thread.

If you run into any further trouble, feel free to start a new forum post, or contact us at support@glowforge.com. We’ll be here and happy to help.