Engrave looks like double vision and glowforge is not cutting through gift of good measure

Hello all. Here is my unfortunate issue that maybe you can help trouble shoot with.

Today, my engravings have been quite wonky. It looks like double vision or like the glowforge decided to skip some small parts. I figured maybe I needed to give the glowforge a good cleaning, so I cleaned all the lenses, and I also checked to make sure the belt looked good and that there wasn’t anything broken. All good.

Then I figured I would try and cut the gift of good measure since you can’t go wrong with that. Except I guess my glowforge can. My first two attempts, still double vision on the engravings, and when it came time to actually cut, the glowforge went through the motions, but no beam was firing. The third time (After I turned off the machine, took a deep breath, made sure the lenses were good along with the cable being connected correctly) the engraving was not legible at all, and the glowforge did cut the gift of good measure, but not anywhere close to all the way through. I did this on the proofgrade medium draft board.

I’m not sure what to do next. My machine is out of warranty. Nothing looks visibly broken.

3 attempts. Left to right. And the back side of those 3 attempts.

Support might have an idea for you. The only thing that looks hinky to me is the slight wobble in the circles on your last cut…that usually indicates a belt tension issue (the one under the laser arm) but that doesn’t cause double prints or failure to fire.

I think they are going to need to look into it for you. Sorry to not be able to help.

Ahh I guess so. Bummer!

As far as the possible belt tension issue. It doesn’t seem to be really loose. Any tips on what I can try to do to get that right?

Yeah, there are instructions for how to check it, along with a video GIF of approximately how taut it should be…

Video:

Tightening:

That’s a new one. It definitely looks like half of it is engraved twice and part barely at all. Hope we get to hear the outcome on this one.

1 Like

Just in case your Gift of Good Measure file has gotten corrupted, you might consider resetting it (go to the 3 vertical dots, click “Design Details” then Reset Design) and try again,

4 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re running into trouble. I appreciate you providing all of these great details. I’ve extracted the log files from your Glowforge to review these prints.

I’d like to take a look at a specific component from inside of your Glowforge. Could you please send us a photo of the pulley under the laser arm, like the example below?

Once we can review this image, we’ll send over the next best steps.

Yup! I’m hoping it’s a simple fix and not having to replace the unit as the warranty is expired :disappointed:

1 Like

Hi! I’ve just emailed you back. Thanks!

I’m glad to see that we’ve been able to connect via email to work on this further. I’m going to close this thread, and we’ll continue to assist you via email.