Engrave of original art scan

I’m working with a local business owner to bring some of her ideas to life. She gave me an original pen-and-ink to see what I could do with it via laser. She also loves the engraving I’ve done on chipboard (0.02") and has bought all the samples I’ve brought her.

I did a high-quality scan of the art and took it into Photoshop for cleaning up. I tweaked until the screen looked like the clarity of the original art. Then I changed the pixel density to something the GF could handle and sent the file to print.

It took about an hour. I took a few photos as it developed, and the artist was thrilled at what I emailed to her. Here’s the finished piece (not in its entirety, for copyright reasons):

In the original art, the eyes are solid black; it’s interesting how the chipboard/laser combination created striations. In person, the engrave is an impressive representation of the artist’s work.

29 Likes

Pen & ink drawings engrave really well on canvas art boards. Nice sepia-ink looking aged result. You can pick them up cheaply from art & hobby stores. Do your settings testing on small samples of the artwork and you can probably get by with one for testing and then move on to the real piece.

6 Likes

I’ll suggest that to her. Right now she owns a paper arts store, so is looking for ways to increase people’s interest in paper. I don’t think she carries canvas or paints. (But I think I am interested in doing what you suggested for my own art.)

3 Likes

Similarly:

3 Likes

Nice! I like the one on maple the best.

1 Like

I did one on marble too but I don’t think I posted it.

1 Like

Well, if you do post, please let me know. I’d love to see that result.

1 Like

An octopus in a golf course water hazard? Looks pretty upset :smirk:

1 Like

I’m glad to know I’m not the only one thinking that! Looks like she’s wearing a few on her head.

1 Like

That’s some gorgeous artwork and good manipulation on your part!

2 Likes

Looks great! I’m curious about how well that holds up over time. Do you have to spray with an archival spray or something?

1 Like

I haven’t done any treatment to the chipboard; I’m going to leave that up to the artist. It would be a good experiment if I do anything like this for myself.

2 Likes

Oh, and this is not as bad as the alligators that used to patrol a local golf course back in the day.

1 Like

[quote=“kelley1, post:13, topic:72464”]
this is not as bad as the alligators
Somehow a tentacle creeping up on you through the grass seems creeper than an alligator. :scream:

3 Likes

Nice engraving and a talented artist!

2 Likes