Engraved bamboo pen

I wanted to make some “thank you” gifts for friends; I found some nice ballpoint pens with bamboo bodies on Amazon. After I disassmbled the pen and took measurements, I created a jig to hold the body. It’s just under the height limit for clearing the head/focus, so I don’t need to remove the tray.

When you have a laser, everything starts to look like a project.

48 Likes

That’s a great personalized gift. Would you mind sharing where you found the pens?

13 Likes

Beautiful!

I love your font choice too!

13 Likes

I got mine on Amazon. They come in packs of 12, 20, 60, etc, by various sellers. All about the same price/quality, so any should do. Just search for “bamboo ballpoint pen” and many should pop up for you. Sorry no link right now.

12 Likes

Nice work! Great gift idea for when you need something nice and easy
!

11 Likes

Very nice engraving. Attractive gift!

11 Likes

Fantastic! I love how you used the full length of the pen, so striking!

10 Likes

Thanks! I lucked out with her name though; not all fonts will play nice with all names. Now that you bring it up, I need to give some thought to placement and fonts for very short names.

8 Likes

That pen is great!!

6 Likes

Thank you! It not only engraves nicely, but it’s thick enough around the body so it is comfortable to use with my achey (sp?) fingers.

8 Likes

That came out very nice indeed! Would make wonderful gifts.

7 Likes

Those are great. Do you mind sharing your engrave settings?

4 Likes

Settings for non-Proofgrade materials can only be discussed in the “Beyond the manual” forum section.

5 Likes

That looks great! And very useful in office settings where people have a tendency to steal pens. This would make it very easy to tell someone they have your pen!

5 Likes

Looks good! How thick is the pen?

5 Likes

About 0.43"

2 Likes

Nice. No trouble engraving over the curve?

1 Like

I have some leatherette pen sleeves from JDS Industries that I engrave. I’ll look for these pens. These would make a nice gift set. Amazon also has a pen with a wooden case that laser engraves well that I used as a gift for my grandson’s graduation. I would invest in some to offer to insurance agencies or real estate offices. Pens and pen sets were very popular for sales awards.

6 Likes

Do you mind sharing your settings?

very attractive and clean result, and great gift idea.

I wonder if would also work well to score it rather than engraving it.

4 Likes