Engraved crystals!

Here is the score that really torn up the surface

And the engrave

7 Likes

Really wonderful, particularly like the one that almost is a Geode.

2 Likes

Excellent, thanks.

Also here is a spot that I think it’s the deffrent .wake up like you said

5 Likes

Beautiful! I put crystal grids on wood, stone, and tile. Now I have to give Agate a try!

4 Likes

See this thread for both sources and results on agate

6 Likes

Nice work!
Essentially agate, jasper or chalcedony, they look like slices of geode. Sliced thin like that they are known as transparencies.
I have always marveled at geodes, and the concentric rings in them that conform to the surface topography of the stone, and the “impurities” that give the silica color.

I always loved to slice them, knowing sunlight had never touched the interior - to be the first to see the wonder hidden inside.

7 Likes

The white sections do not engrave nearly as well as the colored areas. Lots of flaking and such from the structure.,

1 Like

WOW!!! This is what I"m excited about! I can’t wait till my GF is ready.

Yup I also think the power setting was too high

If you get those keep them out of the sun or find a way to put a uv blocker of some sort as a finish. the dyes they use to make those rocks those fancy colors deteriorate quickly

3 Likes

Too high power fractures it more. I rarely went above 30-40, though I have done 2 passes to keep the power low but make the image clearer.

3 Likes

Good to know!

These are fun! I’ve always loved geodes, agate, etc. They’re just beautiful!

1 Like

I so love the idea of being able to engrave crystals! I’ve been dreaming of doing some engraved selenite (satin spar). Lapidary style work can be really dangerous though, you need proper PPE / precautions in place. When grinding quartz based stones, you can generate silica dust and too much exposure can lead to silicosis and lung cancer. In addition to silica, stones like malachite and chrysocolla can also generate toxic dusts. Be safe out there friends! :heart:

Dangerous Dust | Rock & Gem Magazine Kitchen Countertops Tied To Silicosis, Lung Damage, Deaths In Workers : Shots - Health News : NPR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE66BMYUONc

1 Like

Amazing. Love the patterns. Where did you get them? Self made?

Welcome to the forum.

That is so Bloody awesome!!!

Hi , beautiful. Can you share the settings? I just received in mail and would love to test out the engraving on theses beautiful stones.

1 Like

Sooo pretty!!!