Engraved foods

I’m thinking tortillas with Mikhail Gorbachev or something funny for the next dinner party. Saints, public figures, etc.

I have a friend who makes dog treats. Engraved cookies with dog faces on them. Each dog at the tea party gets his own cookie with the host’s face maybe. :smile:

1 Like

Go one better on the dogs.

Trace owner’s hands, cut treats in that shape. Then doggies get to bite the hand that feeds them :slight_smile:

Probably best in rawhide if you want to cut through. Not sure if cookies will work (but freeze first like the chocolate may help)

2 Likes

I’ll be making my Shortbread Cookies next Christmas and engraving my logo and pass out as gifts. I think the freeze first idea will ensure a quality look.

I had a few friends request BB-8 English muffins. It should be interesting to try that out.

1 Like

How about engraving the calorie content on each cookie, fig newton or other “bad for me” flat food.

4 Likes

Um… Dude… Because a real man eats them a bag at a time…:imp:

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I think both those Bratwursts I just had as a snack were thicker than one and a half inches.

6 Likes

Is there anything we should know about regarding lasering food? I’m interested in the seaweed, and I’d love to laser engrave cookies.

1 Like

One thing that has been stated on other threads about food is that the Glowforge team recommends you do not engrave food in a Glowforge that has previously been used to engrave other potentially toxic materials for food safety reasons. They encourage users who want to engrave food to dedicate a Glowforge exclusively for that purpose.

We made a gingerbread house this past weekend, and the whole time I was thinking that the GF could be used to make a much nicer one.

1 Like

That makes sense, though it does kind of suck. I was thinking “but in the video…” and then I re-watched it and the chocolate star ships and plastic invitations were made on machines in different locations (inferring different machines in the same house).

Wouldn’t put much stock in the original marketing video. Though it appears to be accurate as to what the Glowforge is capable, the units used were all very, very, early prototypes. The people were actors, motions staged, etc. The plastics were not final although they appear to be close. Don’t misunderstand it does not appear anything in the video was intended to mislead or is noticeably incorrect, just that it was a marketing video intended to show what the Glowforge WILL do. It does make sense that you don’t want to eat something that may be laying in a previously deposited toxic dust.

3 Likes

I have minimal experience with food cutting. But that experience has been universally disgusting.

One of my students used our laser cutter to slice his pizza, because the Pizza Hut guys failed to cut all the way through.

My office was nearly inhabitable, and his pizza tasted like tar.

I assume if you get temperatures EXACTLY right, you can merely cook the food and it is fine. But except for very thin sheets, I doubt you can cut anything and still consider it tasty afterward. But I could easily be wrong.

1 Like

I’m thinking graham crackers would be fun and the high sugar content would caramelize nicely.

Out of an abundance of safety, the chocolate rocket the girl in the marketing video put in her mouth was actually cast from a laser-cut acrylic mold lined with plastic wrap, so the chocolate never touched anything laser-made directly. But the chocorockets were laser cut, although the settings and chocolate formulation took a week to get dialed in!

Is chocolate going to be one of the materials you sell? Frosting barcode? :wink:

3 Likes

We’ve thought about it!

3 Likes

I’ve now found a food use for my Glowforge http://mashable.com/2016/01/08/pizza-cutting-science/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link#DeTkRFxRksqB

5 Likes

I’ll make the pizza!

11 Likes

Wish I could make one of those on a Glowforge.

I don’t understand why those slices are better than triangles, though…