Engraves suddenly stopping mid-print. Cuts/Scores OK

Just started this afternoon. Four different print runs, each with different engraving, with different engrave settings. Starts fine, gets part way through the engrave then just stops altogether.

Machine still running, all the right noises etc. Just no engrave.

I rotated two of the designs are tried again, they came out fine. The last two, rotating didn’t fix it.

Other cuts, scores etc all working fine…

Tried again today and same problem, but it has stopped at a different location.
There are no indications on the UI. No temperature warnings or anything like that.
Interestingly, lifting the lid does NOT cancel the job.
I can cancel the job from the UI, but this does not move the head back to home, the head is stuck in the middle of unit.

I’m so sorry for the trouble with your prints! Can you post the designs you are seeing this issue with? Alternatively, you can email the files to support@glowforge.com if you’d prefer.

OK, so GF want a $1000 for me to shipping to get my unit to and fro GF HQ where they will check it out.

In the meantime, I think it is a temperature problem. Those same files printed fine this morning when room temperature was just 15 degrees. Whereas they fail quite quickly when room temp is 25 degrees.

But cuts are unaffected, long 20 minute cuts are going through fine. So suggestions as to why engraves could be more temperature sensitive and what I might do about it.

Unit is well ventilated and I have an additional puller fan on the exhaust which seems to make no different to failure time. All the exhaust and both head fans are well cleaned.

There is no temp indicator on the UI so I’m not seeing any temp warnings.

Just to repeat. About 1,2 or 3 minutes into an engrave unit stops. Head stops moving, no laser, but fans etc still running. It never clears, only way to get out of it is to power off the GF. The timing is variable, even when printing the same thing over and over. Moving the file and rotating it in the UI still fails. GF have said “can’t remote diagnose, send the unit back”.

Ideas please?

I see you already emailed us about this and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.