Engraving a picture onto something accurately

Has anyone here been able to accurately engrave a full on picture (aka family picture) or something of the sort onto wood or even acrylic? I had tried in the past with little to no experience with the glowforge and it did not work well LOL. I don’t really think i can clearly do backgrounds but i might be wrong?

1 Like

it can be done, but there are a LOT of variables – it seems tile & acrylic seem to be a better medium for photo’s then wood… I have had (small) luck transferring a photo to wood,
there are MANY many (many!) posts about engraving photo’s on all three mediums.
do a search!

Let us know how it goes!

Jonathan

1 Like

Many Glowforge users have great success engraving photos on various materials, and there are lots of examples here in the forum. Here is one example, And i finally nailed the photo engraving

There are lots of discussions Search results for 'photo engrave' - Glowforge Owners Forum

3 Likes

You mean positionally accurate (like in the center of a cutting board) or accurate like a faithful reproduction of the photo?

You have gotten good advice so far about photo reproduction, I’ll add this – check out #9:

As for positional accuracy, generally for something like this a jig is a good solution. there are lots of posts about them:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=jig

3 Likes

oh yeah, engraving on wood is extremely difficult with all the variables like wood density and such. I do feel like acrylic would do a better job than wood in that case.

1 Like

No i meant an accurate reproduction of the photo with depths and such. I’ll give your article a good look and come back to you in a bit!

1 Like

recent acrylic photo I did

1 Like

Oh yeah #9 is exactly what i’m looking for! My picture that i tried engraving did not have any depths to it at all and was really hard to distinguish the silhouettes in them.

3 Likes

The biggest part of photo engraving is the prep before you ever put it into the machine. Have you run through @jbmanning5’s suggestions?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.