Engraving a thick item

can you remove the tray to engrave a thicker item. i ask because the head has clearance but the circuit board placement on the gantry will not clear 5/8 or thicker item without removal of tray. i would recommend raising circuit board on later models.

It’s the air assist port behind the head that is the primary physical limitation. Also the automatic camera focusing is limited to 1/2".

2 Likes

Yes, you can remove the tray. But, since the laser can only focus from the height of the tray up to about 1/2" above it, you need to put something under your thicker workpiece on top of something else to raise it up so the surface you’re engraving is at least as high as the tray used to be. I.e. if the tray is 1.5" thick, and you want to engrave something 1" thick, you need to put your 1" thing on at least a half inch tall block, otherwise the laser won’t be able to focus on it.

1 Like

See this post that describes how to do it correctly.

4 Likes

This one too:

5 Likes

Thanks for the answers all. I’m going to close this thread - if the problem reoccurs, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this!