Engraving mirrors

You’ve all been so helpful with my questions, here’s a short tutorial on engraving mirror tiles.

I bought them from Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NGZP8JO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This photo doesn’t do the end product justice:

I set the thickness at .07 inches

and the speed/power at

750/57

The image was imported into photoshop, converted to B&W. I hit noise/reduce and then reversed it to a mirror image, then saved it as a PNG.

When I put the mirror into the Glowforge, I did it shiny side down, so I was able to engrave the back.

Next time, I’ll center it better, but it’s really stunning to look at. The tiles are cheap, and someone with little talent like me can still create a pretty sharp output.

Have fun.

40 Likes

Turned out great! (Kewl kewpie too!) :smile:

2 Likes

Captain Awesome calls it the “Fat Baby Mayo”

At the grocery store he says “Honey, we need more of that Fat Baby Mayo”… and then he gets weird looks by other shoppers…

9 Likes

Did not know there was such a thing as Kewpie Mayonnaise. :rofl:

1 Like

Neither did I and I find it disturbing.

7 Likes

It’s worth noting, @jamesdhatch and @Jules that it’s not actually MADE from Kewpies.

It contains 0% Kewpie, actually.

It’s also interesting that Kewpies are very very big in Japan. I had to go all the way to a Japanese company to get these Kewpies for the cover of my book:

https://smile.amazon.com/Small-New-Big-Remarkable-Business/dp/1591841267/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533765126&sr=8-1&keywords=small+is+the+new+big

They’re not real Kewpies.

They’re Japanese simulacrums.

Sort of like the mayo.

(which is delicious).

10 Likes

Wait a minute… You are The Seth Godin???

I mean I saw the avatar and name but it didn’t click in my head… And I just posted Fat Baby Mayo…
Oh dear… :see_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

9 Likes

I needed a good laugh this morning!! :rofl:

1 Like

I saw what you did there !

John :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

That doesn’t necessarily rule out it being a Kewpie “by-product.” :innocent:
Goat’s Milk contains zero goats, and Girl Scout Cookies (presumably) contain no Girl Scouts… :sunglasses:

6 Likes

If that were true wouldn’t there be a label on the box to the effect “No Girl Scouts were harmed in the making of these cookies”?

8 Likes

Nice work.

So, speaking of Kewpies.

I went to Hickman High School in Columbia, MO.

Our mascot?

Kewpie.

Not kidding.

ESPN even did a bit on it.

3 Likes

I did the same and WOW!!! It is awesome when looking at it with the correct light behind it!!! This was a gift for a relatives 50th… I have 4 requests for something else kind of like this.

Google Photos

13 Likes

I 3d printed the stands.

1 Like

Your mirror turned out really great!

Makes me hungry for a Kewpee burger! http://kewpeehamburgers.com/

Hamburg-pickle-on-top-makes-your-heart-go-flippity-flop!

3 Likes

Yes it was worse when Gerber tried to introduce their baby food to countries in Africa. What with all the Tribal Languages and massive illiteracy in European Languages folks would just put a picture of what was inside on the label. Gerber did not know this and ran into a lot of trouble.

3 Likes

Definitely going to try this. It never occurred to me that engraving the back would work!

did you glue a frame and picture onto the mirror? awesome idea! Yeah, photographing a mirror… one of those very hard things to do…-

Thank you for the tutorial, and FWIW I love the quote that you chose! Too often, we are our own worst enemies when it comes to creativity, expecting perfection on the first try. IMO, there is greater reward in being willing to take risks, and make a few (or even many) mistakes along the way.

2 Likes

No kidding? It’s great school. Nieces and nephews did band there and did so well.

1 Like