Engraving on abt

Thanks Dan. No the Centre is my business, engraving is my hobby.

Lawrie

~WRD0000.jpg

image003.png

Thanks.

Lawrie

~WRD0000.jpg

image003.png

Thanks I will check again.

Lawrie

~WRD0000.jpg

image003.png

Iā€™m still curious to know what this ABT stuff is. I did a Google search and gave up after the first few pages of no valid matches. If you have a link to a supplier of the stuff, post it?

I will

Lawrie

~WRD0000.jpg

image003.png

Maybe @lawrie is posting via email and that giant logo in every post is part of .sig file added around the time of the third post?

If thatā€™s the case, could you maybe leave that out when you post here, @lawrie?

3 Likes

Iā€™m guessing Lawrie lives in Australia. Donā€™t know what gave me that idea. But I feel pretty strongly that my guess is correct. :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://www.google.com/search?q=abt+acrylic+resin&rlz=1CDGOYI_enUS987US987&oq=abt+acry&aqs=chrome.0.69i59l2j69i57j0i22i30l3.1528j1j7&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Numerous results here.

Perhaps also called Abteilung (or thatā€™s a brand of it)

1 Like

OK

Lawrie

~WRD0000.jpg

2 Likes

OK. But itā€™s a liquid acrylic resin, base for paint apparently. Might be laserable if it came in a solid sheet. Too lazy to go find a MSDS and figure it out. But I scrolled quite far down in that search and didnā€™t see anyone selling it in sheet form. Just bottles or beadsā€¦

Maybe Iā€™m wrongā€¦ I tend to assume things. But, I figured @lawrie would be using it somewhat as intended. I.e. to ā€œpaintā€ his material and then cut it on the laser?

Ah. That is an obvious conclusion which I am sad to admit, completely escaped meā€¦

I still canā€™t find any information on what the stuff actually is, just what the stuff is used for. But if itā€™s acrylic, it should be safe to lase. How well it lases is anyoneā€™s guess. Itā€™s basically paint before they add color. But it shouldnā€™t produce any smokey emissions that would harm the machine or be a meaningful risk to a nearby human.

Iā€™d try a small piece to see what happens.

Thanks Randy.

lawrie

~WRD0000.jpg

Thanks but no it is a solid ā€œplasticā€ rod.

Lawrie

~WRD0000.jpg

Wellā€¦ either way, if itā€™s Acrylic you can probably safely lase it with the only question being how well it lases. ā€œTry a small pieceā€ should still be your go-to plan.

Acrylics are a family of plastics all made from Carbon, Hydrogen and Oxygen in varying amounts and arrangements. None of those things can harm the machine. Keep a squirt bottle of water nearby in case it catches fire (which is why you only want to try a small piece first) and have at it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.