Engraving onto a wooden platter

I want to engrave an image unto a wooden platter. Too tall with the tray in. With the tray out, I have tried multiple different height jigs to place the platter on the tray. I select set focus, All works until I press print then I get the PRINT STOPPED UNABLE TO COMPLETE THE PRINT MESSAGE and the error message regarding material thickness specifications. Help Thank you

1 Like

How thick is the platter exactly? Does it have a rim around the outside? And how tall is the rim?

(Let me clarify that…the rim can’t sit higher than 1/2" above the inside of the platter, or the focus can’t reach it.)

1 Like

You can use a tool like this to determine the correct focus height after you have propped up your material.

1/2 inch thick at the base. It does have a rim, Rim 1 1/8 tall

That’s the problem…the rim is too thick. You’re limited to 1/2" range to be able to focus on the interior of the platter.

Thank you. I guess I will have to turn shallower platters if I want to engrave onto the inside base!

1 Like

If you want a sharp focus…yes. There might be a way to do it and get a kind of fuzzy effect, but that might not be what you are looking for. (Kind of impressed that you turn your own though! Should be great when you get one done!) :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you. I am pretty new at this so I will have to figure out how to make that tool

I’m so sorry to hear about the trouble with your print. I extracted the logs from your Glowforge and it looks like you’ve been able to print since reaching out to us.

Could you please let us know if you are still having any trouble with printing on the platter?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.