Presenting the Focus Height Ruler (colonial edition)

(10/23/'20 Edit - I added a double-sided version here.)

I present for your consideration - the Focus Height Ruler (cubic Smoots per Wiffle version, I might do a metric one later…)

FILE IS HERE → focus height ruler.svg.zip (6.9 KB)
(Three steps - Engrave the numbers, Score the lines, & Cut)

As focus height should be entered above where the crumb tray bed should be, this can be handy for determining that measurement when the bed is not there - or just to check your material thickness. It uses the base of the head as a reference point, so as you can see, when placed directly on the bed, it measures “0”. Note - this is NOT 0.5" below the head (it’s actually around 1.3785" on my machine.)

As you might expect, it measures 0.125 for 1/8" acrylic…

… and unsurprisingly, 0.500 for a 1/2" lump:

So when you remove the tray and prop up your (<2" >0.5") target for printing, you can use this to quickly get the focus height. [☞]

Of course, if the ruler doesn’t fit, or is too short, you need to adjust how you are propping up your material, because the surface is outside of the supported focal range.

[☞] There are many other solutions to this problem. This is just how I’ve been doing it, and figured I might as well share.

218 Likes

I think this will come in pretty handy. Thank you.

4 Likes

I really like this! Thank you so much for sharing! What a super hand tool! With all of the gf tools that I have I should make a magnetic rack. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

this will be super useful, especially after having something that ended up being being around .501 inches. just enough to make problems

4 Likes

Very nice!

4 Likes

Wil E Coyote could take your correspondence course…
wile-coyote-A

11 Likes

I sincerely wish I could like more than once. :innocent:

5 Likes

Yes, the key measurement in that case is the shroud of the fan that is also not exactly 0.5 but a scooch above that. Knowing exactly or even filing an extra 1/32 off the bottom would be interesting but I have not found a way I could do that. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing

4 Likes

for me, this is what was bumping into some of my material that was slightly too tall.

3 Likes

Well, this covers that as well.

If it doesn’t fit in the range of the 0.5" scale, it’s likely going to be too tall.

3 Likes

That is the critical height we need to pay attention to. the rest is relative to that. That is why it will always be what bumps.

Less known, any horizontal element from thick material, to bed pins will interfere with air flow from the fan and cause the kind damages we see when there are magnets or other causes of the fans not to blow.

3 Likes

Brilliant!!

3 Likes

Thanks, just made one out of clear acrylic

30 Likes

Thanks for upstaging me! lol…

15 Likes

Ha! Seriously though, It works awesome. Thanks!!!

4 Likes

Too soon, too soon. :wink:

5 Likes

I know this will come in very useful. Thank for sharing the file.

5 Likes

Oh wow… thanks!

5 Likes

Thank you kindly.

5 Likes