Engraving Outline Only

I want to engrave an SVG which I’ve done many times, but for some reason this one file is only engraving the outline of the image. It previews as the blue engrave color, the whole thing filled. But when I start the cut on my Glowforge, it only engraves/cuts out an outline of it. What am I doing wrong?

It has no stroke, filled with black. I thought maybe I did something wrong, so I also tried adding a stroke with the fill, stroke with no fill, changing the color, etc…

Are you willing to post the art here? One of us can look to see if we can see anything. It sounds like you’re doing everything right!

1 Like

It’s supposed to cut the circle and engrave the rest (for an inlay of sorts, I’ve cut out the same pieces to glue on top). I’m wondering now if it’s causing problems to have it engraving over a cut line? I don’t know how to change the design to have those diamonds cut off where the circle line is. The ones I have cut are supposed to go off the edge of the circle backing.

This screenshot might help also… Because it looks like everything is going to cut and engrave correctly, but as soon as I press start, it begins to engrave outlines instead of solid.

One way to always be sure about an engrave, is export it as a PNG.
That way it’ll be rasterized and there’s no chance of some vector confusion in there.

Alternatively, if you wanna zip up the SVG and post it here, we can look closer at it and maybe tell you what’s going wrong.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Double check that you don’t have two copies of the engrave artwork on top of each other- they would look normal in the GFUI but cancel each other out.

One easy way to check is to expand this group

4 Likes

Using the PNG worked! It was a bit of a hassle trying to line it up with the circle, so I’ll post the SVG here and maybe someone can help me save time for the future! Thank you so much

This is really great information! I don’t think that’s my problem, but I’m posting the SVG in this thread so maybe someone will be able to let me know…

1 Like

ENGRAVE2.zip (187.9 KB)
Here’s the file, if anyone has time to take a look for me I’d so appreciate it!

1 Like

Definitely duplicate lines - but it looks like they got merged instead of just grouped

If you zoom out you can see a number of sections look darker - those are going to be the ones with duplicates!

and yup - a Path > Break Part highlights those and makes them removable. Give me a moment and I’ll re-upload
ENGRAVE_3

6 Likes

If you want to engrave a portion of the artwork, and leave other parts as vectors (to score or cut), you can use the “Rasterize” function in Illustrator, which effectively turns the selected objects into PNGs that are embedded within the SVG.

That way you’ll still have everything in one SVG and all lined up together, but you’ll get the behavior you’re expecting with the engrave.

1 Like

Hi Hannah,

My name is Mercedes and I’m part of the Technical team here at Glowforge and I’ll be helping you troubleshoot today.

I’ve been watching this thread for a while and it looks like the forum folks have given you all the advice you need to succeed!

It’s been a while since I have seen any additional responses so I’m going to go ahead and close this now.

Happy Printing,