Engraving over the proofgrade barcode tag

Can you engrave over the proofgrade barcode tag? I’m assuming you can but if you do, would it result in an uneven engraving because the thickness would be inconsistent due to the tag? And if you do engrave over it, how can you use the left over pieces of the proofgrade material if the glowforge is unable to read the barcode? Can you manually input that it is, in fact, proofgrade material if the barcode isn’t there at all?

You can, but you’re right, it will make your engrave come out uneven.

You can always use the pulldown (upper left in the GFUI) to select your material, if the barcode is missing, or the camera can’t read it for whatever reason.

2 Likes

5 Likes

wow, ok! I appreciate the help! You’re soo fast with your response! You should work for glowforge :wink:

3 Likes

I’m recovering from ankle surgery and dying of boredom, so I’ve been pretty active here lately. Usually @Jules heads up the first responders. :wink:

6 Likes

I’ve really been enjoying the break! :smile:

4 Likes

Flip the board over and use the back so the sticker didn’t impede your ability to engrave. Choose the material from the top-left corner of the Glowforge interface. That’s what I do when I need to use the part of the material where the sticker is.

They’ve mentioned the idea of someday switching to an ultraviolet QR code printed in a repeating pattern all over the masking. But that might be a while off.

6 Likes

That’s pretty cool that you’re helping others out with their issues. Sorry about your injury, but I am curious as to what kind of projects you were able to come up with since you’ve had soo much time on your hands :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

You’re still doing a great job though. I’m sure you’re really busy. You guys sure could use more help.

1 Like

Turns out pain meds mess with your brain… :stuck_out_tongue: But I’ve managed a couple of things. I posted about them yesterday: Glowforge Therapy :)

The “Jack” box was designed during my heaviest pain med use, so I’m kind of surprised I didn’t have more issues with it than I did. My “design” neurons are working better as I’ve been able to taper off the meds, and I have some other designs “in the hopper,” not anywhere near ready for testing yet, though!

3 Likes

I didn’t even think of that! Thanks for the assist!

my wife had ankle surgery in March one metal plate and a cable. still limps a little and a little sore when she gets up from sitting for a long time. she was getting bored too and had to sleep downstairs… Hope it is getting well…

You do realize that @Jules is a volunteer as well right?

5 Likes

Yep, it’s healing really well. They told me it would be 3 months until it felt okay again, and a full year to feel fully normal, but you know how it is when you’re convinced you’re really in your 20s, unlike everyone else your age. :wink:

I still have the other one to get through – there WILL be a bed downstairs before that happens, though. I’ve learned my lesson!

1 Like

Yep that’s what they told her too a full year before all the muscles and tendons heal… Doesn’t heal like they did when we were younger… Getting old really sucks at times…

3 Likes

Yep, but to quote my former pathophys instuctor, it’s better than the alternative! :wink:

2 Likes

One thing to remember, it is important for the beam focus that the material is flat. Most of the wood material will have a slight camber to it. Hold the board up to eye level and sight down the edge to see which way the board curves, then put the crown side down and pin the edges flat. If it were reversed the center of the material would bow up, affecting the focus height, and could cause not cutting all the way through.

1 Like

True but just putting the inevitable as long as possible…

Thanks for the answer @geek2nurse, that’s right. Thank you to everyone else as well. I’m going to close this thread - if you have any other questions, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this!

1 Like