Engraving with no dots

How do I make the engraving on wood come out smooth and NOT with dots?

Also, how do I get it to cut deeper?

S. Winter

Hard to say without knowing what you are trying to engrave, what you have already tried, and what type of wood. Pictures help.

You will either need to raise the power, lower the speed, or a combination of both.

2 Likes

I am carving a piece of Mahogany. The power was full and the speed was way too high more than 2450.

I will re-carve this with the slower setting.

Yeah, That sounds way too fast, but unfortunately I don’t have any experience with mahogany. Running some small tests is going to be your best bet.

2 Likes

Have you tried vary power versus dots?

1 Like

This - there are 3 options when engraving.
Vary Power is the “smoothest” but it will also engrave at different depths depending on how dark the area its engraving is.
Convert to Dots uses the same technology newspapers do to get shading - at a high enough value you cannot see the individual dots, only the shading they create
Convert to Patterns is similar to Dots, but I find gives a smoother look on large areas.

You should test all three on a small scrap to decide what look you like, and then try it on your mahogany.

3 Likes

I will try that. Thank you for this suggestion!!

S. Winter

1 Like

Very good Suggestion. Thank you.

S. Winter

1 Like

Just curious, have you ever run through the first prints tutorials?

It seems many overlook them and it is invaluable.

1 Like

Thanks for all the amazing answers! Like @Pearl, I also wanted to share our Learn by Doing tutorials, which are a great resource to learn or refresh your skills when it comes to the basics!