Error : air assist fan

I continue to receive this Air assist fan error

The air assist fan on the carriage plate is not running at the correct speed. Try reseating your printer head following these steps.

I have removed the belt, mout, and air assist fan for deep cleaning. Replaced and error continues to pop up.

1 Like

Can you post pictures of the front and back of your air assist? Sometimes gunk gets into the slide that’s hard to see but easy for it to slow the blades. Also, make sure the connectors are all slid in firmly with no bent pins. The term “deep clean” gives all of us shudders since SO many folks manage to dislodge things when they do that. Fingers crossed it’s something easy!

1 Like

Hi @glasmom17! I am sorry to hear about the air assist alerts your Glowforge has been experiencing lately. I am happy to help troubleshoot.

Thank you so much for following the instructions to clean your air assist fan as a first step! As a next step, I’d like to take a closer look at a few areas of your Glowforge. Could you please do the following:

• Check the four contact points on the bottom of the printer head. Press down gently on each of them and let me know if any of them fail to spring back up when released.

​

Once we have the photos, we will follow up with next steps!

Attachments

2 Likes

Thank you.

The four connectors do spring back.

Just a thought. There is a sensor that says your fan is running and all goes through the white cable that plugs in to the carriage plate. So that plug and receiver should be checked carefully too. I had not realized that magnets will mess up the fan and the (at that time new) sensor caught what was happening.

1 Like

The four connector prongs to spring back.

Are you referring to this white cable?

Yes, the cable end and the place where it plugs in, end on in each case :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

all the cables and connections seem to line up. none of the connectors are bend on missing.

1 Like

Support will come along to help with this. I had this problem but it was a frayed belt. Obviously that is not your issue.

1 Like

Just a question, are you using magnets to hold your material down? If you are, the magnets will interfere with the air assist fan if the fans moves directly over the magnet. I had this same problem, a couple of times, but since I made sure the magnets are nowhere near the travel of the air assist fan, the problems have gone away.

1 Like

Thank you. I haven’t used magnets. Wish that was it. Praying to the Glowforge Gods for the answer :slight_smile:

Danielle. W
I have tried everything, cleaning, reseating, checked for magnets, removed crumb tray, tried printing multiple different prints, there seems to be no physical reason for the error. Please advise.

I am not sure where the sensor is but it could be shut off on your machine only. I had mine shut off just before I discovered the issue with magnets, as I would rather the specific job finish and then address the issue. Since getting rid of the magnets the issue has not returned, however.

1 Like

That sounds like something that would happen to me. Lol. Did glowforge staff fix the error remotely or were you able to toggle switch yourself?

1 Like

They did it remotely there is no toggle here.

2 Likes

Thank you! Hopefully that will be my issue!

1 Like

Hi Rebecca,

My name is Mercedes and I’m part of the Technical team here at Glowforge and I’ll be helping you troubleshoot today. The forum folks have really steered you in the right direction! You have provided all the photos and information I needed to move this forward to our Senior Engineering team to take a second look at.

I just wanted to provide you an update, so you know that we are looking into this and we should get back to you with a solution shortly!

Kind Regards,

1 Like

Much appreciated.