Error: Filled shapes must have closed paths

I am having a new problem. I have a file that I believe I have printed before. It is made in illustrator. When I hit print, I get an error in the bottom right of the screen that says, “Filled shapes must have closed paths. Edit your artwork to remove the fill or close the shape.” I am not sure how to determine which shape it is referring to in my file. I have attached the file. Thank you!

Ships with filled shape.zip (1.3 MB)

The last boat on the right isn’t a vector. The previous 5 have been traced. Not sure if that is your problem, but maybe image trace that last one, and see if that fixes your issue.

I would recommend installing this plugin:

It allows you to select a number of things, such as select open paths.

3 Likes

It seems t have something to do with the boat with the sheep on it, but I can’t figure it out.

Holy nodes Batman.

In the svg the sheep boat has duplicate rivets (wooden boats don’t have rivets, but the round things at the end of the planks.) That is one potential source. Manually trying to find a broken path with all those nodes is going to take forever, if then. Maybe the tool jbmanning suggested would help.

Have you considered doing the Illustrator equivalent of Inkscape’s Make Bitmap copy on the black boat fills? You’re going to engrave them anyway.

Your best bet is going to be to rasterize them and engrave them.

You can get document stats by going to Window > Document Info

When it opens that window, click the little hamburger menu on the upper right and deselect “selection only” and then go to “objects” in that same menu.

You don’t have just one or two open paths, you have 660.

Using the plug in that I mentioned above (select all open paths), it shows this:

7 Likes

Good Googly Moogly. I’m embarrassed. I’ll get right onto cleaning this up. Thank you all!

4 Likes

Thanks for the answer @jbmanning5. I’m going to close this thread - if you have any other questions, go ahead and post a new topic.