Error Message: "BUMPED The laser head experienced a bump..." Help Please!

I’m receiving the error message, “BUMPED. The laser head experienced a bump. Open the lid and check for anything in the way before printing.”

However, there is nothing in the way of the laser. It seems like it cannot find it’s home position, as it gets stuck on the “centering” step. It moves to the left until it hits the left side, as if it doesn’t know where it is. I’ve tried restarting the Glowforge several times but nothing has fixed the issue. I saw that a few others have had this happen, but support had emailed so the fix wasn’t detailed in the forums. If you’re able to help, I’d greatly appreciate it!

2 Likes

Tried a few other things and was able to fix the issue! Writing here in case anyone else needs help with this!

I read in another post about centering issues that the Glowforge uses the lid camera to determine head position. I cleaned the lid camera and took out my material, then turned it back on. It’s working again!

9 Likes

Thank you for the update that you were able to get back up and printing!

I extracted the logs from your Glowforge, and one reason the centering took a long time is that materials in the bed were creating images that could not be processed correctly. This matches what you found when removing the material led to your unit centering as expected.

I’m going to close this thread. If you run into trouble again, or have any questions, please post a new topic here on the forum or email us at support@glowforge.com and we’ll be happy to help!