ERROR MESSAGE: “BUMPED. The laser head experienced a bump. Open the lid and check for anything in the way before printing.”

I’m receiving the error message, “BUMPED. The laser head experienced a bump. Open the lid and check for anything in the way before printing.”

There is no material in the tray. There is nothing in the way of the laser. It seems like it cannot find it’s home position, as it gets stuck on the “centering” step. It moves to the right until it hits the right side, as if it doesn’t know where it is. I’ve restarting the Glowforge several times but nothing has fixed the issue. If you’re able to help, I’d greatly appreciate it!

1 Like

If the head gets jostled while the machine is turned on, it will lose it’s place.

Try turning off the machine. Then gently move the head underneath the lid camera, turn the machine back on, and let it finish the startup calibration.

4 Likes

I’m sorry for the trouble. It looks like you’ve been back up and printing since starting this topic, and I’m glad to see that! I pulled the logs from those failed calibration attempts to look into what happened, though. I noticed that the material in the bed of the Glowforge may have created images our software has trouble processing. Due to this trouble, the printer head was not identified in the correct position, and moved too far to the right, causing the “Bumped” error you saw. If you run into this issue again, please remove the material from the bed of the Glowforge and try again.

If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!