Error while preparing print

I know there are a ton of posts about this, but this is the first time we have gotten it.

I have tried restarting everything, even redoing the wifi. We have tried different prints, this is the first time for this one, but even ones we have done many time now come up with the same error.

Not sure what to do. Will try again tomorrow.

1 Like

Does it only happen with a specific file?

I ran into that once yesterday, but it printed the file successfully anyway.

I ran into it a bunch of times today.
I could replicate it: I used an SVG of a snowflake, scaled it to 1/2" size, and set it to 340 LPI.
Using a larger size or lower LPI worked.

I saw the same problem with a different picture, where there was a slight overlap between SVG objects.

I don’t know if you were using SVG or JPEG. With SVG, overlapping elements seems to cause the error. (Scaling the image smaller and setting a higher LPI seems to cause floating point error that caused a little overlap.)

From what I can tell: With SVG, overlapping lines will either (A) work correctly, (B) invert/XOR the overlapped region (I have one example of this), or (\C) cause the error that you showed. And “which one” depends on the image.

(If I could figure out how to attach the snowflake svg here, I would. But I don’t know how to attach files.)

You can just zip it and drop it here.

Same thing happening to me. Opened a ticket with support with my file.

Trying the drag-n-drop. Here’s the snowflake I was using. (I got it from Wikipedia: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:P_snowflake.svg and removed the background.)

Snowflake

To replicate the problem:

1. Load the image into app.glowforge.com.
  2. Convert to Engrave. (Notice how the side icon turns all black with no gaps between the arms.)
  3. Using the GUI, reduce the size to 0.6" or smaller.
  4. My media: 0.5" high (it’s a box lid that’s actually 0.051" high).
  5. Set LPI to 340.
  6. I was using engraving with 1000/50 and 300/40. (The latter is engraving but will cut through the box lid.)
    With these settings, I got the error every time.
    Increasing the size to 0.7" makes the error hit-and-miss.
    Increasing the size to 0.75" or larger makes the error go away. At 0.8", I never got the error.

The file we were trying to use is three Jpeg images that were converted to SVG. The rest of the files were SVG that were done in Inckscape. This file still does not work. In fact this image will not even lode anymore. I can’t even get it to open in the preview window, let alone press the ready button to see if it will print.

27 PM

We also have another file that is close to the one we were trying before, as in same file set up, that works for use. I just tried this file again and it will print.

All our other files we have made also seem to still work, along with the founder ruler.

Not sure what the problem is on why it does not like this one set up.

I’m so sorry you’ve run into trouble printing.

There’s an issue with our software in handling images that include flipped bitmaps and it looks like that what’s happening here. We will be making improvements in this area.

Here’s a couple options to try:

Take a screenshot of the image
This method is super-easy and can provide great print quality.

1. Open the image you want to print in your browser or in design software
  2. Enlarge the image by zooming in. Make sure the entire bitmap fits on your screen and that it looks good. Be careful: if you make a bitmap too big, it can look pixelated or boxy.
  3. Take a screenshot
    a. Mac: Press Shift-Command-4 and click and drag a box around your image. You’ll find the screenshot file saved on your desktop.
    b. Windows: Click on the Start Menu and search for the Snipping Tool. Open the Snipping Tool > New then click and drag a box around your image. Click the Save icon and name and save your file.
  4. Upload your file to the app and print

Make a copy of the flipped image in Inkscape (or your favorite design software)
This method is a good choice if you want to be able to continue to edit your file later.

1. Download Inkscape. You can read more about it and learn how to get started here: https://glowforge.com/support/topic/first-three-prints/introducing-inkscape.
  2. Open Inkscape
  3. Go to File > Open and select your file
  4. After the file opens, select your bitmap artwork
  5. Choose Edit > Make a Bitmap Copy
  6. Inkscape will make a bitmap copy on top of the original artwork
  7. Click the top artwork to select it, drag it off of the original artwork, and delete the original artwork. You’ll be left with the bitmap copy
  8. Select File > Save As and save the file as a Inkscape SVG file
  9. Upload your file to the app and print

Let me know if this helps!

2 Likes

Sorry for the delayed replay. The wife and I both got food poisoning, and having to deal with a 7 month old, made the past few days a lot of fun.

Anyway we tried both ways that Jaz mentioned above. They both worked. The wife even messed around with some other ways. Thanks for the help. We have since redid the ones that were working so we don’t come up with the same problem.

Here is a picture of the trouble maker all done.

You can close this post if you want to now.

9 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about the food poisoning.

Your print is beautiful! I’m glad it worked out.

If you have any other questions, please post a new topic or email us at support@glowforge.com.

1 Like