ERROR while uploading files

I keep getting the ‘There was an error while uploading this file’ message for every file I try uploading. I have renamed the file, restarted my computer, turned machine on and off, tried different web programs all without any success. Anyone have any other ideas. I’m getting beyond frustrated that I can’t get anything to work for the past two days.

can you regenerate the file…? (open it up in whatever application, make a minor change, save it as a new name) and try again?

I had this issue, and THAT is how I fixed my issue.

Jonathan

PS: Oh! and welcome to the forum!!!

1 Like

Yup - that error happens when there is an issue with the file. If you’d like you can upload it here and one of us can see if there’s an issue on our end.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.
As others have stated, this is probably an issue with the file, and it is certainly frustrating as you state. If you want someone to look at the file you can zip it and share it here in the forum. If catalog files, or other files load without generating the error, it is undoubtedly something in the file causing the glitch.

1 Like

Turns out I just separated the three designs to their own file and instead of uploading one file, I had to import three but it seemed to work that way. A little more tedious but if it works I’m happy! Thanks for your help everyone!

4 Likes

This likely means your first big file was just too big. Maybe due to very high resolution embedded raster/bitmap images, but more likely is complex paths with tons, and tons of control points.

Illustrator has a “Simplify paths…” function I use often on large complex files.
Inkscape has something similar but not sure what it’s called.

Glad you got it working!

2 Likes

In Inkscape it’s also called “simplify” under the Path tab…

2 Likes

I’m glad you resolved it! Without seeing the file it sounds like the file may have been too complex like @jestelle suggested. The best way to solve this depends on your design. You may be able to simplify the design with your design software. Inkscape and Adobe Illustrator both have options to simplify strokes. Another option might be to convert the portion of your design which is to be engraved to a bitmap by rasterizing it. Here are two support pages on these topics which might be helpful:

Rasterize Objects
Simplify Strokes

If you converted your image from another source, you might be able to perform the conversion again. In any case, your design will likely print successfully if it has fewer nodes (also called anchor points).

I’m going to close this thread. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!