Error with focus and material thickness

ERROR Read:Material thickness Your material must be less than 0.5” tall with the tray in, or between 1.5” and 2” with the tray out.

I have the tray in with 1/8 draft board in there and it doesn’t recognize it. I have tried Proofgrade supplies, I have tried cleaning all mirrors and lenses, turned it all off and shut it all down for hours, changed designs etc.

I was able to put about a 1/2" cutting board on the crumb tray and engrave it. That worked. Nothing else will. I don’t know what else to do…

Can you enter the thickness manually?

3 Likes

Yes and it still won’t work. It won’t recognize anything less than .25 inches. It’s so frustrating. And support hasn’t responded at all to my email. I have loads of work to do.

Did you clean the bottom of the print head ?

1 Like

I sure did…Cleaned it all. It is the weirdest thing! Someone else in the GUG on FB said they are having the same issue with no solutions from the company. I don’t feel great about this. I don’t know what else I could clean or adjust.

Have you tried elevating 1/8" material? You could elevate the honeycomb tray, or put risers under the material.

I am in the process of boosting the crumb tray to the perfect spot. That seems to work but the first try created issues with cuts that were close to each other overlapping…so I think it was too high.

You shouldn’t have to do this as a work around, but maybe you can survive while waiting for Glowforge to help.

1 Like

It’s been about 24 hours since I sent my ticket in…I would hope that someone will reply to me soon.

Im having the same issues right now with setting focus, I can engrave no problem but it wont set focus and the test print results are not good , I only had my unit 2 weeks . I have a support ticket in as well waiting for responses

What material are you trying to focus on? Does it happen with all materials? Have you tried changing the ambient light in the room housing your Glowforge? Is your lid camera clean? Are the windows on the underside of the printhead clean?

It’s medium draft board Proofgrade materials and it’s doing it with all my Proofgrade materials , I did darken the room light, lid cam is clean and the print head windows are clean.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.