Etched Polished Stainless Steel test

My first real use of my new Glowforge: tested a piece of polished stainless steel. Use the Dry Moly Lube ($10 can on amazon), did three coats, allowed each coat to dry (a minute each layer or less), then etched at “full power” at a speed of 300. Single pass, took about 22 minutes. Fairly pleased with results. From some angles the etch is hard to see, from others, it is very clear. Also, this is my first post, so… hi.

126 Likes

Hi, @glowforge28! Great to meet you and thanks for sharing your success with this piece. The etch is impressively clear and beautiful in that image. Nice work.

5 Likes

That is outstanding, great test and very successful.

Can you post an image of where it is not so easy to see? For comparison sake?

4 Likes

Sure thing. I don’t have it on me right now but here’s another view until I’m back where I can take more pics.

33 Likes

Wow, if that is a ‘lesser image’ than the one you posted then sign me up, they look great.
Love how the lines are dark in the original image and light in this one!

10 Likes

Ohmyyy! That is gorgeous! I work primarily in stainless steel as a chainmaille artisan. I can’t wait to start etching custom pieces!

9 Likes

Cool etching of a cool avatar! Now I want some moly d.

4 Likes

Whoah … really mesmerizing. This opens up so many possibilities. Thank you so much for the great documentation and settings! Nicely done Sir.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum!
Nice work, thanks for the demo :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Thanks! It’s a drawing based on a sculpture I made: http://www.publicsculpture.com/inflorescence.html

21 Likes

Beautiful! :smile:

3 Likes

Wow! Nice work on that huge model on display!

2 Likes

That is gorgeous!

2 Likes

That looks really cool!

1 Like

WOW

That. Is. Awesome.

2 Likes

Welcome! The result looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing your process!

3 Likes

Wow! That is a pretty freaking cool sculpture!

1 Like

It’s not clear from the original post, but the laser appears to harden the moly so that when you remove the residue with isopropyl alcohol, those sections that were laser marked remain. Here is an article I found on the process.

6 Likes

Wow. So that’s a flat surface. From the first photo I thought it was curved…

2 Likes

Always fun to run into another mailler. Do you have another website? I keep racking my brain on how to integrate more laser into maille other than pendants etc.

2 Likes