Etching and cutting Corian

That looks so cool! I wouldn’t use Corian as a cutting board though as it will dull the heck out of your knife. A serving board though is perfect!

You can also ‘inflate’ corian as well!! I cannot WAIT to try out this technique:

4 Likes

Finally got to laser cut some corian over the weekend!! I used a Universal X660 laser cutter with 1/4" thick corian sheets. The rastering worked beautifully, I ended up liking the depth created at 100% power, 30% speed, and 500 dpi. Even more so I love the resulting effect of the smooth and shiny untouched corian with the matte finish of the engraving.

Actually cutting through the corian turned out to be a bit more of a pain. I don’t know whether it was from grit/dust still trapped in the cut groove, but whenever I tried slowing down the speed or upping the power the laser produced a whole lot of sparks that died off a little to slow for comfort. In the end I only had time to fully cut out one of the two designs. I ended up sticking with 80% power, 2% speed, and 250 dpi for a whole bunch of repeat passes, with a few final passes with the dpi bumped up to 500 because of little spots not cutting through all the way (again, may have been due to trapped particles). The cut edges were pretty smelly and a little irregular, but super easy to sand down and clean off!

32 Likes

Wow, it’s gorgeous! I love the detail. And your coffee cup with molecular formula of caffeine is pretty cute too.

1 Like

Thank you!! I’m super excited with how it turned out- wasn’t expecting the engraving to come out so clean! Haha I love my caffeine coffee cup :blush:

looks great :slight_smile: love the design too.

1 Like

Thanks! Got the inspiration from an image I came across on the NY public library’s public domain collection…never thought to look at resources like that before!

1 Like

Beautiful! I’m so excited to try Corian, and your project is fabulous inspiration.

1 Like

I’m also now thinking that engraved Corian plus colored resin would be a very excited combination.

4 Likes

Thank you!! And I agree- filling in the engraving opens up so many amazing possibilities. I thought about using @macphee’s awesome technique with the black solid surface adhesive, but decided to leave this one blank. I’m also thinking about making a second one and inlaying it with wood veneer or mother of pearl…too many ideas, so little time!

1 Like

I just went to Home Depot and got Corian samples–they give you ones that are about 4cm x 4cm, which is a nice size to play around with. Lowe’s sells a different brand of acrylic counter top, Hi-Macs, by LG. The Lowe’s guy says LG no longer sends them samples of the Hi-Mac’s, but they can be ordered online. The Hi-Macs stuff had a range that looked a lot like real terrazzo, which would be interesting to play with as well.

2 Likes

With the accuracy of the laser, a very tight fitting inlay is also possible.

1 Like

If anyone is looking to try and obtain bigger corian samples, I was able to get my sheets from a local sales rep. He had access to scrap cut-offs that he was able to just give to me for free!

5 Likes

Whoa! Thanks so much. I have a friend who has lots of Corian samples. Great technique and design.

2 Likes

Hope you get to use some of their samples! Pretty sure Corian has topped my ‘favorite materials to work with’ list. And thanks!! I can’t wait to make more. Since it’ll be 40W, I’m really hoping the glowforge can still cut through 1/4" sheets.

Here is the Corian I’ll have at my disposal. For size perspective note the wine barrel at left.

7 Likes

hope you bought the pro for the pass through

1 Like

Wow! Nice stash! I definitely covet thy Corian.

2 Likes

So jealous!! At least my Corian sales rep seemed really excited with the coaster pictures I showed him- hopefully it will lead to a nice flow of Corian cut-offs! :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

@marmak3261, have you tried the Corian yet?!

2 Likes