Etching on aluminum

Hi,
I was wondering if someone knows what setting I should use to etch .2mm metal business cards. They are aluminum.

Thanks in advance!
Jen

FYI, Iā€™m moving your post to Beyond the Manual because (per the friendly neighborhood lawyers (FNLs) itā€™s the only place weā€™re allowed to discuss non-PG settings, and this seems likely to end with settings :smiley: )

If they are just plain metal youā€™ll need some sort of marking material - ceremark is the professional (pricey) version - but folks have also found some success with vinegar/mustard/water/etc.

If itā€™s colour coated aluminum you can etch the coating off (you might run a test using the iPhone/MacBook settings)

You can also spray paint them and then either etch off the words - or etch off everything around the words

There are dozens of posts on here talking about just this - itā€™ll depend on which method youā€™re considering which posts are the most helpful :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok, thank you so much! I did a search before asking the question, but only 1 topic came up. Maybe itā€™s because Iā€™m using my cell phone. Anyway, they are coated black, but Iā€™ll do another search from my laptop.

Thank you for your time!

1 Like

Use the search term ā€˜anodized aluminumā€™. It sounds like thatā€™s what you have and there are many posts about it on here. Iā€™ve done anodized many times and it comes out beautifully.

3 Likes

I did some etching about a year ago on little anodized aluminum pill bottles that came out great; and Iā€™m now realizing I didnā€™t post about them! :scream:

That was dumb, it was a pretty fun effort. Iā€™ll try to dig up my notes on them and do a late posting, or at least suggest the settings I used.

But for now, if they are pre-coated they should turn out really nice; itā€™s not a tough effort. Iā€™ll be interested if you notice a weird ā€œtasteā€ in the air while youā€™re doing it; I still remember how strange that was. Crazy free ions bouncing around.

2 Likes

I think this will be a great place to start!

The images show the speed/power/lpi settings they tried :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The blue ones look like what I have. Mine are extremely thin and bend easily. If I find the correct settings, I will definitely share the info! Thank you so much for replying!

1 Like

Anodizing is just a method to allow the surface of a metal to hold dye. (Edit - yes, it does more than just thatā€¦)

So when you hit it with enough laser power, the dye is vaporized. The metal itself is untouched.

That means itā€™s hard to not get a decent result with anodized aluminum. Too much power wonā€™t really make much difference. As it happens, full speed (1000) and power typically work pretty well. 340LPI seems to be a good resolution.

As always, test first.

2 Likes

Ok thank you for the information! With the Glowforge itā€™s easy to select the proofgrade materials, but there isnā€™t one for what I need. I donā€™t want to cut the material, just etch a quote onto a 3"x2" sized aluminum card.

I didnā€™t know if I select the wrong setting will it cut through the card? Itā€™s only because itā€™s wafer thin, but Iā€™m still researching it.

No. The machine doesnā€™t have anywhere near enough power to cut thru, or even mark bare metal. It wont even mark aluminum foil.

Oh wow, ok. Sorry about all of the questions. I barely got the machine for Christmas and Iā€™ve never used anything like it.

2 Likes

Wicked cool isnā€™t it? A lot like magic when you can make something on the computer turn into something in wood or plastic or tile that never existed before quite like youā€™ve made it. I still get a big smile when I watch the laser go and Iā€™ve been doing this for years (before GF :slightly_smiling_face:).

5 Likes

Oh yeah Iā€™m still in awe of it! I have to stop myself from wanting to try everything I see on Pinterest! :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.