Etching Tile

@LightBlue I COMPLETELY didn’t put that together regarding the language of the bird’s names. :exploding_head:

So I just got my GF 2 days ago and then this happened

Thanks so much guys for sharing your experiences. This made it very easy

32 Likes

Beautiful work

2 Likes

Anyone experience this flaking on the black glazed tile? When I touch it, it crumbles but leaves an obvious difference in the layer.

7 Likes

Flaking is kind of how it works but there is no telling what sort of glazes they use. I had a lot of crazing that showed up like spiderwebs everywhere near the lasered lines. the coefficient of expansion of the glaze and clay will be different but within the needs of the tile manufacturer, They are not planning on the likes of us using their stuff.

3 Likes

Simple easy framing: 4" Tile (4.25in x 4.25in) Frame - Flat or Wall Mount

15 Likes

Wonderful detail.

1 Like

Hi, did you try the 511 impregnator sealer? A friend and I have been working together to find a way to seal the tiles so that they can be used in backsplashes and as coasters.

8 Likes

Will be VERY curious to how it works for you! Please do share

1 Like

Is that the flat earth on the right?

Great Lakes forming the outline of my home, Michigan… plus Lake Ontario hanging off to the right. The Niagara River wasn’t included on the image I used.

Haha. Great Lakes were my second guess. Doing a project for someone who wanted laser images on the flat earth theory. Saw those and thought “coincidence?”

Holy moly that tree is amazing!

Is there anyway you can help me when I try to engrave on tile which kind of material should I chose?

Choose “uncertified material” and either use the set focus tool or manually input the height of the tile after measuring precisely with calipers.

1 Like

What are some good Sharpie alternatives? Not paint, or paint markers, but good knock off sharpies that anyone has used? The sharpies I used on my first tile worked great, I just see it getting expensive lol. I’m going to try acrylic paint too, see how that goes…knowing me, probably try today after work haha

Thanks a lot for a help

It’s my impression you start at Sharpies and move up. There are some expensive markers out there.

3 Likes

Was actually looking for knock off Sharpies lol, I want to go cheaper

I used these - but I can’t actually speak to their longevity as I gave the tiles away…

though looking, I’m not sure they’re cheaper than Sharpies!

4 Likes