Etching Tile

I’ve been making my own trivet frames out of baltic birch. 1/4 inch for the top frame, snugly fitted around the tile and a 1/8 inch bottom to the frame. Glued together, it makes a nice looking display.

3 Likes

I was wondering the same thing about tape. Thank you for sharing all of your knowledge :heart:

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing, it looks amazing. I utilized your engrave settings, traced my grandma’s handwritten recipe and engraved it on an extra tile I had here at the house. We lost my grandma last month so I am going to give it as a present for christmas.

13 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Your recipe engrave will be a great gift.

1 Like

This sounds like a gift that will be treasured for a long time. Very thoughtful. :grinning:

Looks great. I’m learning and just have a few questions about getting a design to the tile. I have a pro. What file type should I use ie JPG, SVG, HTML, PNG, to engrave on tile or is it etch? Does the slower the speed make the engrave deeper or should I keep it at 4000? What about photographs? What’s your recommendations on this as well?

My first tile, a success thanks to the GF community. Lost a lot of the detail shrinking it down to a 3x6 tile but for an initial go I am not complaining

19 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Nice tile.

1 Like

A very good start and welcome, cramming that much detail into that small an image some is bound to escape. It is a beautiful piece.

Did you mask the tiles, engrave then spray paint?

Hello @msretro,
I mask the tile. Not because the tile needs it but, in my experience, the residue from the masking helps the dye stick (it’s darker).

No masking…cleaned the tile with a Z wipe, used settings for subway tile found on this forum…Blue sharpie and a Magic Eraser

1 Like

Where can I get the file for this design? I love it!

1 Like

What settings did you use for your tiles? They are beautiful.

Great job…looks amazing.

2 Likes

First 3 tries. I masked the Elephant and colored over the tape (Ceramic tile, masking tape). It was kind of a pain to scrape the black tape off and left as much black streakiness as if I just colored it and didn’t mask at all. The Dark Horse is a .75 inch Porcelain dot. No mask. The Doctor Who was again ceramic tile, not mask. All coloring done with regular black sharpie. To remove excess, I just used a Zeiss Wipe.

Settings were 1000 spd/Full power/450 LPI and .275 focus.

12 Likes

That smudge between the O and R on the last one was overlooked. I got it of with a Wipe as well, but it took a bit more elbow grease.

1 Like

Love the elephant design! Did that first one crack? That looks a lot more 3D, like you used a lot more heat but I like the effect (except for the crack) Particularly with tile given that it is not affected a solvent (I use hand sanitizer) can make the job of removing masking very easy.

1 Like

I’ve always understood that Sharpies are very fugitive – they fade rapidly in strong light. Am I wrong?

Not if you get the right ones…
https://www.sharpie.com/all-markers/specialty/extreme/SHExtremeBlackFine

3 Likes