EUR Glowforge Pro just tripped a circuit breaker with a loud pop

Hi,

my Glowforge Pro just tripped a circuit breaker and when I reset and switched the machine back on there was a loud pop and immediately trips the circuit breaker again. I was at the end of a small job (15 minutes cutting mdf) when this happened.

I’ve not really had any tech problems with the machine since I swapped it a few years ago under warranty.

Anyone had a similar experience? Could this be serviceable in Europe? Could this be the power unit or the tube?

Thanks

Edit How long does it normally take before someone from techsupport to view this?

1 Like

Normally same business day, but today is a national holiday in the US so they’re closed.

That bites. I’d take a camera through there and see if you can find any spots on the cables/cards where there is electrical damage (black smoke marks and the like) to try and narrow down what’s causing the surge. If you find anything post the pictures here so support can see them first thing.

2 Likes

Oh no, I’m sorry you’ve hit a snag.

Your Glowforge should be plugged directly into a grounded wall outlet that meets local building codes. If you haven’t already, please do the following:

1. Unplug your Glowforge from the wall
  2. Plug another device directly into the same outlet and see if it works
  3. If the device does not work, have an electrician investigate. It may be a blown fuse, a broken outlet, or something else
  4. If the outlet works, unplug the other end of the cord from the Glowforge unit itself
  5. Inspect both ends of the power cord; if you notice any damage, try another power cord
  6. Plug in the end of the power cord that goes to the Glowforge, making sure it is inserted all the way in
  7. Plug the other end of the power cord into the outlet, making sure it is inserted all the way in
  8. If your Glowforge still won’t power on, try another outlet

Let me know what you find!

Nothing to get the blood quicker to boil than a “Have you tried turning it off and on again” type message.

Here’s what happens when I turn power on the glowforge.

You hear me click the off/on button, a loud POP from the powerunit and I click the off/on button back in the off position. I go to the garage to reset the breaker. The outlet the Glowforge is plugged in works like it is supposed to.

I’m sure the powerunit is shorting but without opening it up I won’t be able to see inside.

Sadly they’ve got to ask the questions if the answers are not already confirmed. The video should be a great help.

2 Likes

I completely understand your frustrations and thank you for sending over that video.

Unfortunately, this isn’t something we’ll be able to resolve remotely.

The next steps would be replace this unit. I’ll send the full details to you via email right now.

Once I hear back from you, I’ll close this post.

Thanks for the reply. Is the powerunit something I could replace myself?

I’ll be on the lookout for your email.

“Right now” in about 16 hours?
in about 22 hours?

Sometimes email does end up going to Pluto first before coming back. People often find missing emails in spam folders. A few have found a service lv block. Sometimes there’s just electric gremlins eating the mail. They’ll try again when they see this.

I received an email from Glowforge last night with a nice sounding offer but I will have to buy a refurbished machine (at a very reasonable price) from them in order to keep forging. And send the damaged machine back. Both @ $500 shipping a piece. I will have to overthink this offer.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.