Excessive smoke leaking out; No strong suction from compact filter

I got my Glowforge and compact filter this summer and have put maybe 20-30 hours using proofgrade plywood and amazon sourced plywood. Recently, it has been leaking smoke out of the front and top edges, mostly while cutting.
I have tried adjusting the knob on my compact filter, but it doesn’t seem to change the suction force that it creates much at all. When looking inside of the compact filter at the actual filter it looks dirty on the top side, but still white as clouds on the bottom. I just can’t see how I could have to already get a new filter. I have tried everything else that is listed on the Glowforge support page related to excess smoke with no success.

Has anyone with a Glowforge Compact Filter run into this sort of problem? And advice, tips, or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Thirty hours of cutting time is about the average for cutting wood products, so yeah, it probably needs to be replaced. (You can extend the life of the filter by running the fan for the same amount of time that the print took after a print. You can take the print out, just leave the fan on.)

3 Likes

I am having the same problem! There is no suction. I contacted support and am waiting to hear back. I am bummed. In the mean time, I will be venting outside. :disappointed:

Pictures?

Isn’t that the point of a filter?

Overall, venting to the outside is the most preferable way to do it…so why are you even opting to use a CF? Venting outside is free…otherwise…

I have to run between 15-35’ of hose across the floor to vent thru an open door (shorter) or a window (longer).

I have no intention of purchasing a filter, but I’m saying it’s not always convenient to vent outside. I get away with it because I live alone and don’t mind stepping over the hose.

1 Like

I will grant you that…there are many circumstances that make things quite different.:slightly_smiling_face:

I’m sorry that you ran into trouble. Even with a properly setup exhaust system, you may have a little smoke, and even a harmless odor comes from your Glowforge.

If you are printing and the smoke or odor is irritating, overly unpleasant, Shut off your Glowforge immediately. This would mean that smoke and fumes could be entering the room in excessive concentrations.

We’ve created a troubleshooting guide with illustrations. You can see it here: https://glowforge.com/support/topic/troubleshooting/print#excessive-smoke-or-fumes-during-print

We have replied to your email with your next steps for troubleshooting your Compact Filter. So I’m going to close this thread.