Exhaust setup

Well, that may actually be the issue…I’m not sure. I bought it in a spray bottle, and I think it was already diluted. (Probably not enough as it turns out.) :neutral_face:[quote=“dwardio, post:29, topic:7712”]
I requested one, but was told to clean the exposed optics as best I could with the included lens wipes for the time being. So far so good.
[/quote]

Ditto. It hasn’t affected performance any that I can tell, but I’m not exactly running it 24/7.

3 Likes

I’m getting there, but @Dan has said there’s a unit in the office that’s not been cleaned in a year so I’m not too worried about it - although I do cast a glance at the mirror/glass when I open the lid every once in awhile.

2 Likes

I cut a lot of dark objects. It’s much, much easier to see the material edges on a clean crumb tray than it is on a blackened one. At least until we get some brightness control of the bed image.

4 Likes

If I’m doing stuff like that I’ll tear off a sheet of white butcher paper (I don’t bbq enough to use a roll very fast so I make it serve multiple purposes) and stick that underneath. I’ve used parchment paper sheets in my other lasers because I would buy the precut ones and they fit pretty well and are rated to 500F so they don’t catch fire in the laser underneath wood or acrylic. My wife would get a little crabby though if I used it all up so I tend to use my bbq wrap instead :slight_smile:

6 Likes

17 Likes

Where were you with your buying guide last month? :wink:

4 Likes

Costco.

11 Likes

We’ve never cleaned a crumb tray in the office, and we have some very old crumb trays.

7 Likes

Maybe your eyes are better than mine. Or your camera image is brighter than mine.

1 Like

Hey @rpegg, you have probably already thought of this, but just in case… most modern computers will allow you to calibrate your monitor (I’ve got a Mac and I know I can do that in the Display settings in System Preferences). You could create a display calibration file that you use when using the Glowforge, that is artificially bright, sort of optimized for those dark crumb tray situations. Then just switch back to your normal monitor calibration file when using other programs.

2 Likes

Thanks, but to pump up the brightness and contrast of the camera image to easily see things like black on black or a cut line with heavy smoke staining the rest of the display becomes saturated and almost unusable. I’m guessing they are working almost exclusively with light masked Proofgrade and don’t run into this problem. Welcome to the Pre-Release comment section.

2 Likes

Why do I have the feeling crumb tray cleaning is going to dissolve into the clean vs seasoned grill grate camps?

3 Likes

My beloved mother used to say that if you change your mind a lot, you’ll have a cleaner mind. Like David, I get the notion that I will want to clean my crumb tray more often than some. For me, it may mean that a clean crumb tray equates to a cleaner and more uncluttered mind. :smiley:

4 Likes

I believe we are seeing some sort of problem with the camera on your machine specifically and the team is investigating.

1 Like

While this thread got derailed into cleaning, it still is one of the more recent relevant threads about exhaust and venting. Thought I’d post Matthias Wandel’s demonstration of sharp ninety degree vent versus gradual vent made of two 45 degree sections. Enough difference in that if you are stretching an unassisted vent run, consider this for the bends.

15 Likes

Do you have a picture or link of the Lowe’s part you are talking about? I’m still having trouble with venting, and going through these old threads are helping but some extra detail would help me a ton!

I’ve got a picture of it here:
IMG_3637

That white part in the middle screws apart, and we’ve got it sealed to the actual vent with silicone in a couple of places.

1 Like

Oh ok thanks. What are you using on the glowforge side, if you don’t mind my asking?

Just a standard worm clamp. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like