Expectation vs Reality

fail

#1

Based on a FB post by Kristie Kiesel I wanted a place where people could post failures along the lines of the common “Expectation vs Reality” theme you see in places like Pintrest. Hopefully they learned something like I did. Glowforge version:


My version:

Apparently I used a tad too much Gorilla Glue and water. The glue exploded everywhere.

Don’t be shy, post your failures GFers!

Craig


#2

Oh…a "Nailed it!" thread! Great idea…all of my early attempts/failures are kind of scattered though. :grinning:


#3

Here’s one…my first shot at my five strand Mystery Braid bracelet:

Should Be:

And the reality: :rofl:


#4

Thanks Jules! :rofl:


#5

All of my things work perfectly first try.

Obviously.


#6

AAAAnd this is why I abandoned Gorilla Glue long ago for everything except a few very limited use cases.
A thick CA would work well here or carefully applied yellow wood glue if you can work out a way to clamp this.

I’m going to have to start documenting my fails, could be most entertaining!


#7

Here’s a major design cock-up (mine, of course) …the apple bowl turned out okay looking from the top down:

But from a side view…it looks like an elephant’s tushie: :smile:


#8

I’ve broken more rulers than anything else.


Most of the time when I jam a magnet in it snaps. I eventually gave up.


#9

I made my first mystery braid bracelet when I was about 10 or 11. Back in those ancient times we had to cut the strand slices by hand with a utility knife. Almost cut my finger off. Still have the scar.

And then after all that it ended up looking exactly like yours :blush:


#10

Ha ha! Maybe that’s what you were looking to be the ‘end’ result after all. (boo hiss)…then it cannot be deemed a failure in any sense. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :blush:


#11

It was one of those things that caught me by surprise, (and it did cause a few ideas to form), but no, i definitely wasn’t looking for an elephant butt when I designed it. :rofl:


#12

Hahaha! I hate that stuff—have never been able to successfully use it.

My failures are too numerous to mention and I usually toss ‘em, so no photos right now. I’ll definitely add the next one to this thread the next time it happens.


#13

That. Me. too.


#14

We don’t call them failures, they’re “prototypes”!


#15

Yes, yes. Prototypes! :wink:

I’ve also recently thrown mine out in a massive decluttering but there will be more to share so I’ll try to remember sharing them here instead of just on Facebook. :smiley:


#16

Here’s one:

Just a little bit too much kerf adjustment…


#17

Across my journey of learning, I stand now in triumph on the mountain apex of failed attempts. It is a price that must be paid.
No pictures because I have thrown the failures away to remove them from view, but they each leave a scar on my ignorance. Failure is the teacher. :flushed: - :thinking: - :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

"I haven’t failed, I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work." - Edison, regarding the light bulb

This has the makings of a great thread!


#18

Oh yeah! BTDT. :sunglasses::-1:


#19

From my carp pond, Big box with carp stripe, lots of “didn’t cut all the way through” ,a nice handle with the reverse fingers I wanted, Plenty of “overcompensated for kerf”, the occasional “too delicate to live”, and the occasional “now what am I supposed to do with this”


#20

OK this really makes me feel better about my garbage pile. thanks @rbtdanforth!