Experimenting with thin finger joints

1/8" solid Walnut from http://www.gvwp.net/

Entire joint length is about 1" (1.02 or something). The fingers are about 0.035" wide. I think I could probably take them down to about 0.02". I tried at closer to 0.015, and it scorched to death.

Manually rounded corners with sandpaper, sanded to 600 grit, then hit with a coat of Feed-n-wax. I like the look, I think I will incorporate it in my next project.

Scorched to death:

75 Likes

Itty bitty finger joints. They look great!

3 Likes

Looks nice, would make a great look on a box, right now as it sits looks like a tiny book, You should get a shot of it being held by a lego character, that would make my day LOL.

3 Likes

Fantastic! Very nice rounded edge. For some reason thin seems to make it less “fingery?” and more of a design feature.

4 Likes

You guys are too fast, I wasn’t even done uploading pictures!

3 Likes

Cute, cute, cute! :grinning:

2 Likes

Beautiful finish … looks so nice.

1 Like

Wow they’re incredible. Nice work!

1 Like

Oh, it’s beautiful! I definitely want to see more of this.

1 Like

Woah! I’d be afraid my big fingers would break all those little fingers. Good jorb!

1 Like

Wonderful example of small finger joints that are possible with the glowforge :+1:t2:

How did you round the corner ?

1 Like

Original post mentioned how I did the rounding …

They are actually pretty strong, just to be sure the grain runs along your fingers, not across.

1 Like

Oops :roll_eyes:

Yes I can see that now. My not reading all the words, bit me in the :scream: again.

Uh words strung together to make sentences and thoughts and STUFF…

EPIC FAIL

I will do better glowforge family.

1 Like

drill a 0.115" hole down the middle and drop in a bamboo meat skewer and you have a nice hinge :smile:

2 Likes

It’s 1/8” material, not sure that’d be too strong :wink:

Now a skinny little brass wire maybe…

1 Like

Its bamboo, likely stronger than the wood around it, all the grain in one direction. Try breaking one between your fingers on one hand. I cannot.

I wasn’t worried about the bamboo, I was worried about the 1/8" walnut…

2 Likes

There you have a point, in that case perhaps a thin brazing rod,

1 Like

If you really want to go thinner you could try creating the cut in three layers. The first layer would be the left side of the finger, the second would be the right, and the third would be the bottom.

In theory it would allow some cooling between cuts. It seems scorching gets worse as your cuts get closer. This might give you just a bit more tolerance.

2 Likes